fozzieb

Lead Pouring molds??? Help???

Hello all,

I've been pouring lead for about 10 years, and I am now wanting to make my own molds. Does anyone know what type of material to use to make my own molds. I've tried Paris of Plaster, and it didn't last, used Hydraulic Cement, and it didn't mold correctly, I've thought of aluminum, but thought that I might have to drill or use a dremmel tool to make my cavity the right way, but if there was another easier way to do this then I would try it. I have some small weight ideas that no one that I have ever seen has, and I have some larger ones made, but they need to be smaller and lighter to use down in the south and for fresh water. Most of our weights are 1/2 oz. and lighter, and I have 1/2 oz. weights that I am pouring, but I want to make a mold for a 1/4 oz. and 1/8 oz. weight as well. My new 1/2 oz. weight casts a mile, and is more sensitive on the bottom than most conventional weights. So if someone knows of an easier way it would most help. Thanks, Fozzieb

I had shawn collins make me a jig mold about six months ago, and It is so beautifull and precision made that sometimes I just get it out and marvel at it. yes he is probably backordered, but I have to tell ya, any waiting and there will be waiting, will be worth it. just email him and discuss the project. He likes to have a few hooks to go by, and actually uses them to proof mold when he's done to make sure it's right.

I've been down the bondo road...not a pretty sight. It is very difficult to work with in order to have a quality mold. I will say the items above are good for a bondo type mold.

I had a custom silicone mold made by George at Custom jigs and spins...it was a 3 cavity for like 35 bucks. This was a couple years ago.

I did find a place that sold the silicone. It is Poly-Tek. They will sell you a trial version (gallon) and will last for about 10-12 molds--maybe more. The price used to be about 140 bucks. They will give you directions and tell you what you need to get started. I make my own with this product now. there is a learnign curve and it can be a little messy but is worth it to be able to whip up a custom mold in an afternoon.