cwenbass

Materials needed for tying bass jigs

Hello all. I am going to start tying my own bass jigs this winter. I am not interested in making the heads. I am goint to buy them. However, I am curious as to what other supplies I need. I am also going to get a fly-tying vice but I have no idea which one I might need. Also, what other supplies might I need? Is there a book or DVD out there just for flying bass jigs?

Thanks

Three good books are:

1. Streamers & Bucktails the Big Fish Flies – Joseph D. Bates

2. How to Make Your Own Lures and Flies – Mel Marshall

3. Anglers Guide to Jigs and Jigging – Ken Oberrecht

Use the best materials and tools that you can afford. Ebay is a good source for fly tying equipment and materials. A visit to a local fly shop will help on you decide on what vise to get. I really like the Regal vises.

Keep notes on your patterns.

If you look in the Cabelas fly fishing catalog, you will find a real neat vise kit for I think $30 or so. I have this kit and it is everything you need for tying straight bass jigs. I have been using mine for about 2 years and have not had a problem. It is a great, affordable starter vise/tools.

One tip: Make sure when you buy your bobbin, get one with a ceramic insert.

You dont need an expensive vise, just one that'll handle bass hooks and not the teeny tiny fly hooks. A Renzetti is nice though, I handled one a while ago and like them, but for allmost $200, I'll stick w/ my janns netcraft special.

A boppin is a MUST!! Get one to handle bigger thicker threads. Kevlar thread is the bomb because it's strong, tough and doesn't break when sinching.

Best bet is search the net for fly-tying styles you like, and copy them for bass jigs. I have yet to find a good 'bass' jig book, but have found many tutorials online.

I avoided kits and got the materials I wanted to make jigs out of. So far, the only ones I use are silicon (or living rubber) hair, rabbit and flashaboo. I've seen many other jigs from other material, but this is what I feel comfortable with and am confident in the materials fish catching ability on my waters.

Enjoy the hobby, but I'll warn you, its addicting.

Hookup's post is a good one. I use a lot of rabbit strips for making hair jigs. They are packaged and called by two names.....zonkers are the strips with the hair running in the same direction as the strip....these are used for tails and claws, crosscut strips are the same size, but have the hair shooting off one side of the strip only....these are used in making the body or collar (shoulder) of the hair jig....you really need both. There are no rules as to color....you can mix colors having one for the tail and another for the collar, or, you can match.

Start with a zonker strip tail and pierce with the hook down near the end, slip it on so it lines up with the hookshaft and tie off and clip at the front....tying off can mean wrapping 4 or 5 turns of the thread and then making a loop and sliding it over the leadhead and pulling it tight...this makes a half hitch...several half hitches pulled tight will hold it on....then about a half inch from the head, start a crosscut strip and wrap it forward having the hair on top of the hide and pointing to the back of the jig....three wraps are good, then wrap with thread making a thread collar and tie off.

The sideways hair forms an overlay and gives the shoulder some depth. I finish mine after several half hitches by clipping the thread and coating with clear nail polish. Like Hookup said, there are tutorials you can find on the web.

It's going to be hard not to buy other materials along the way, but starting with Hookup's rabbit hair is a great place to start. Rabbit hair moves enticingly in the water and is great for winter fishing and cold water fishing in general. I would add the following to your materials....along with the hair......holographic flashabou in silver color, silicone strands in several colors including blue, green pumpkin, black. The flashabou is great for adding a little punch to your jig......just a few tiny strands adds a lot of zip...just tie a strand on matching the length of the tail piece, after a couple wraps, bring the front end of the strand back and wrap some more and trim even with the tail as well....this bending back and wrapping locks on the strand. Flashabou strands are very narrow....often they are sticking together in the bundle, be sure to separate them in use and you will get your money's worth.

My favorite thread is made by UTC and has a size number on it (280)....I've tried other sizes and brands, but this is a good and sturdy thread. I'd suggest starting with red, black, and olive which will cover you in most tying situations.

Good fishing, Mac