champ198

what guides to use

i have been looking at the Fugi guides but i am a little lost on trying to pick a set for my next rod.......looking for a set for a Bass Casting rod 7' in length 12-20 lb line range.....looking for a good guide that is light weight....saw that the SIC guides are supposed to be 45% or so lighter than the others.......any one know that if this is right? and what is the next step down from them if the SIC guides are the better ones out there

i have been looking at the Fugi guides but i am a little lost on trying to pick a set for my next rod.......looking for a set for a Bass Casting rod 7' in length 12-20 lb line range.....looking for a good guide that is light weight....saw that the SIC guides are supposed to be 45% or so lighter than the others.......any one know that if this is right? and what is the next step down from them if the SIC guides are the better ones out there

45% lighter than what?

In the weighing I've done...identical frames...Alconites weigh X. SiC's in the same frames weigh 15% less than X. And titanium framed SiC's weigh 30% less than X. Very consistently.

I really don't use many guides other than Fuji's but from what little I've seen, Fuji does a very good job at keeping their weights as low as possible.

Alconite is the best guide under SiC in Fuji's line. Probably the best bang for the buck out there in the world of guides.

Some hardness values of various ceramics...

Stainless Steel (SS): 400

Chrome: 800-1000

Carbaloy: 1000

Aluminum Oxide: 1200-1400

Alconite : 1300-1500

NanoLite : 1800

Zirconia: 1000-1400

Zirconia PVD: 1600

SiC: 2200-2400

If light weight is critical, and keeping sensitivity high is critical, then the titanium framed SiC's are the way to go.

I'll steer you away from Recoils. They are light, but that's where the advantages end.

They are easily grooved...

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Otterods/Reference/RecoilGrooving1.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Otterods/Reference/RecoilGrooving2.jpg

That's about two seasons of Wisconsin Bass fishing.

The first set I put on a customers rod grooved within 6 months.

I avoid their use as much as possible...and those photos do a good job at discouraging most of my customers.