1fastalli

Paint for Huddleston Swimbait

I was looking to repaint some of my Huddleston Swimbait. I was trying to find out what kind of paint to use to paint them. I have about 7 or 8 baits that need to be repaint there no paint left on them. So my ? is what is the best paint to use in airbrush to paint them. These baits are starting add up to alot of money to keep buying new one at $35.00 to $45.00 each bait.:)

Thanks,

Ron 1(fastalli)

http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/rons/album16/

Lure Craft sells the paint but in limited colors. They have a clear so you will have to mix your colors using the basics to get what you want. You will have to thin it to get it to spray in an airbrush. Ive tried using a brush by hand with poor results (if you want it to look anything the Huddleston off the rack). Using a brush is OK for dots, fins, etc. The stuff will not rub off and is tough as nails.

Ron,

I'm the middle of getting set up to start making Tube swim baits, I have been doing a lot of research on paints for them and I think you may want to give Lifetone Paint a try They have alot of cool colors im going to. Its a lacquer based acrylic paint that will dry real fast. I'm going to give them a call to see if it will stick to Plastic im pretty sure it will . Here is a site you can find it at.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/subcategory/177/

You can also try this stuff called Paint for Plastic. Our Michael's Craft store has it. About 15 colors available and it is water based. Easy clean up and no fumes.

I have used it on some plastics and it works great. It does take 48 hours to be completely dried according to the label but I have handled the baits within minutes with no paint coming off.

Doubt it will shoot through a gun though as it is rather viscous.

Jim

PS 2oz bottles are $2.39.. Great price for just adding dots of color and it DOES NOT dry out.

Is a huddelston soft Plastic? If it is be careful using anything lacquer based. Basically if you are going to use something solvent based you should just get some tint and mix it with acetone. The acetone evaporates very quickly and this will minimize the amount it melts the plastic. You should also just very lightly spray for the same reason. Usually lacquer based paints does dry very quickly, but not as fast as acetone. You may be able to make it work with lacquer based stuff if you thinned it with acetone, but just be careful thats all I'm trying to say.

If it's hard plastic, then check out the hard baits section...