lure buddy

Poison tail jig problem

I know that this has been talked about before and I did do a search but can not find it. My 1/2 oz poison tail jigs are coming out with a small air pocket in the bottom part of the nose. When I remove the pour there is a hole left in the jig. How are you solving the problem. I have a bottom pour pot and have the temp on high I think that is 10.

I have had issues with the coating on the red hooks outgassing when the hot lead hits it; it was causing voids in the middle of where the sprue joins the weight/jighead. (I was pouring weighted fluke hooks, not jigheads) When I broke the sprues off, there was a small hole in the lead under it.

I too recently had a problem with bubble voids at the sprue break with Mustad 32786 red hooks. A quick pre-dip of the hook into the melt to scorch the paint a bit in the area that would be covered by lead seemed to solve the problem. Had to pad the contact between pliers & hook to avoid scratching the red finish. Would suggest the lowest possible melt temp to avoid over scorching, and it wasn't necessary to precisely scorch the entire area covered by lead, just 2/3 or 3/4. No need to keep the hook immersed in the melt, just a quick dip and tap of the pliers to shake off as much of the clinging melt as possible. Used a cast iron pot on a burner rather than a melter. Then again others have poured the same hook without difficulty, might be some technique involved?