outdooradvantage

Mold care ?

Alum molds

never use water or a damp cloth unless you dry them off 100% immediatly and 100% dry, keep the pins slightly lubricated with oil.

If the mold is going to set for a few weeks or longer in the garage or basement and your in a place with high humidity don't keep the pics in them and its best if you keep the molds open. or at the very least keep those pins oiled in the holes.

Silicon Molds:

Damp cloth is fine or nothing at all is fine just make sure you don't pour hot plastic into your damp molds.

POP Molds:

I would assume that if they are sealed a damp cloth would be fine, but if they are not I think a damp cloth would eventually wear down the detail due to the water and rubbing.

Smallie,

only if the oxidation starts, oxidation is the biggest problem. that why the should be dry and also dont leave baits sitting in them for months that have salt in them. the salt will absorb moisture over time and that will start the oxidation process.

Delw

I just learned a real good lesson recently. I used my aluminum senko mold a few weeks ago and left it in the garage. I sprayed it with Pam thinking it was oil based and would protect the aluminum. After I poured and wiped it down I put it back together. BIG MISTAKE! I went down there yesterday to use it and I had to tap the pins out with a hammer and nail set and had to work on the threaded sections with a pair of pliers for a good 10 minutes along with some WD40 to get them loose. It was like I put Gorilla glue on it. It rusted my threads and gummed the crap out of the pins. I cleaned it up and they are good to go now but I will never do that again.

Steel pins in an aluminium mold are always going to be a problem, as dissimilar metals will always corrode one of them, depending on its position in the periodical table. Is this a common problem? Are the alternatives, non-metal pins?

Aluminium is actually a very corrosive metal (remebering back to metallurgy class), it forms a protective thin layer of oxide (corrosion) which protects it from further attack, exactly the same happens with lead. Lead corrosion happens so fast, you can see it.

I think most if not all of LC molds are silicone except their new aluminuim molds. If they are silicone I put a little dish soap and wipe them down. Then run them under water and make sure they are dry before I put them away or use them agian. I haven't had any problems with mine that I have had for a couple of years.