Ed Brabant

Basstrix style

I am going to try the dipping of tube style swim baits again after reading all the tips that I could find on the site. The only problem I am seeing and having is the amount of plastic that I need to make a full dip on the preform. What I mean is the containers I have are 1 and 2 cup containers. That big forces me to fill up the cups to dip the entire lenght of the bait. Is anyone using something smaller in diamater but taller? So I can dip the full lenght with out having to fill a cup or more of plastic. I am not that good at it yet and I don't want to waste the plastic.

aluminum candle molds worth, tall beer cans with the top cut off work, arizona ice tea cans work, goto a local conveniance store and see what the tallest can they have there is, alot of those health drink cans work really good cause they are tall and skinny.

I use Hunt's pasta sauce cans. They are 3" across and 6" high. They hold 3 cups.

The thing with something very narrow is that you can only dip a few baits before you have to add more plastic. That's ok if you are just doing 2 or 3 baits at a time; but if you are doing more than that you'll spend a lot of time heating plastic to re-fill the cans.

www.novalures.com

I managed to make 4 "good" baits last night. It is technique technique technique. It only took 25 or so trys to get the 4. They were pretty much the last 4 I did . I am going to try the popcicle preforms like senkosam had posted about. If all else fails butter knives are pretty cheap.

If you feel that using the tall thin container for dipping is a bit dangerous......I believe there were threads about using POP as insulation around the containers. This would also help in avoiding accidental knockdowns.

Found it. Here you go

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/soft-plastics/11472-keep-your-pyrex-cup-plastic-warm-dipping-multiple-color-pours.html

If you need to dip in something check with candle making web sites. They have a tall candle melter or pourer you can put on the stove to keep it hot. I think it is 10" tall and 6" to 8" round if I rember right. The4y only cost $6 to $12 if I rember that right. I will look for the site and put up a link when I find it.

I just found it Lone Star Candle Supply - [Equipment], This should take you straight to the pots. Their is two diffrent sizes they under $11. The more you get the cheaper they are. They also have a handle on them that stays cool. You can heat them on the stove I did email the lady about that. You may want to email her for the right size don't I am not for sure on size.

Edited by King Bait Co.

Other than the popsicle stick preform, I made a Shadalicious swimbait in a 2 part POP mold and since it was a solid bait (with great action I might say! and that has caught 5 bass), it wasn't hollow. So, I poured the bait and placed a large nail down the center, let cool and removed the nail. I'm assuming the cavity is supposed to trap air and allow more body flex, but the difference in action is negligible, so now I'm forming a thin wood blade from a popsicle stick (coated of course with Valspar) and using that to insert down into the hot plastic. No need to put it all the way down through the tail since the tail (1/4" from the back end) is solid anyway.

The excess that come out the top is thrown back into the pyrex cup.

Two part molds are so easy to use for this bait and the tail comes out perfect everytime!

I just found it Lone Star Candle Supply - [Equipment], This should take you straight to the pots. Their is two diffrent sizes they under $11. The more you get the cheaper they are. They also have a handle on them that stays cool. You can heat them on the stove I did email the lady about that. You may want to email her for the right size don't I am not for sure on size.

Actually, the smaller pot would be great for pouring from a hotplate.

www.novalures.com