tapsboy68

newb questions

You dont ;) you buy them from him as the molds are very expensive, and its much cheaper to buy those baits then to build them.

but I am sure if you came up with 8-10k andy would let me sell you one if I split it with him.

I designed those baits for him off a picture of a sucker fish, one mold weighs 47lbs on the really big one

Edited by Delw

I agree with Del to a point. It's good advice to buy a couple of these and try them to see if you like them and like Musky fishing. If you intend to make some for your own use you would need to buy them anyway. The baits appear to have a flat bottom which means the body can be easily reproduced with a simple POP mold. Molding in the hook and weight setup is another story. One way would be to make a two-piece open mold which would be difficult for a beginner...but there are other ways to put a hook in a swim bait. It is perfectly acceptable for someone to copy baits for their own use...I'm sure almost everyone on this site has done this. If your motive is to save money I'd say buy them. Copying to sell them is another issue altogether and I wouldn't recommend that. Good Luck with whatever you do. ;)

Yeah I was assuming he was trying to save money for personal use, Thats why its not really feasible. for the 13-20 bucks for each bait that size is cheap compared to the cost in making one and the learning curve to make the molds. Not to mention the amount of plastic to make the bait and supplies you would use to make the mold, these baits take up to 3 cups of plastic to make 1 bait depending on the size. a gallon of plastic cost 30-45 plus shipping 10-15 bucks depending on location.

for starting out your wire harness and hooks would cost probally over 5 bucks each do to low quanities

then you have your cool down time, on a mold this big in pop fiberglass or anything else your looking at about 45 mins-1 hour and 30 mins

I believe the new size I made him takes up to 4 cups of plastic for one bait, its around 16" long weighs over 2 lbs with out wire harness and weight.

I would show pictures of the molds compared to a 5" stick mold so you get the idea of how big these baits are, but there are a few things I developed in the mold that make it work and to be pourable and that gives Andy the advantage of selling these baits.....

Delw

Edited by Delw