braveviper

soft plastic paint

Doubtful :nono:

All the various soft plastic paints I've tried had a shelf life.

I'd say you could extend the shelf life by using a blocking agent like "bloxygen" or "extend-it" but due to the heavy solvents inside, once they escape (evaporate) the product sets-up.

Maybe one of the distributors would have a better answer but I'd say its unusable.

If you are making tubes,I would suggest ,letting the tube cool on the rod,then clean with alcohol,wipe dry,then paint with acrilic paints purchaced from a craft sore.Handle the painted tube with care,because the film will be very fragile.Dip in clear and your paint job wiill be preserved.Eyes can also be added before the final clear dip.Because of my severe astma,I have to be careful with vapors.

I have some pictures but can't post them.Total brain fart.If you send me a request with your email I will send the photos.:)

if your paint is not totaly dried up it can be restored. If its like jelly your still good. Add a little MEK and a ball berring and shake. Keep adding MEK as the paint absorbs it. The thicker it is the longer this will take. You may need to let it set for a few days to a week. It all depends on how much it has evaporated.

after reading this post i checked my L.C soft plastic paint i have the red and black.i bought them a a lil over a year ago and only used them a few times.they havent ben opened in months.i was expecting to find the same problems as mentioned in this post but mine was fine the red and black color had seperated and settled to the bottom and the clear had risen to the top.i shook it up for a few seconds and it all blended together perfect.

the reason i mention this is maybe it has something to do with the way the bottles are closed and stored or maybe its just luck of the draw.on mine after the lid is screwed on tight i hold it upside down for a few seconds on the thought that the left over paint on the inside of the lid would kinda dry and make a seal.then i put the bottle in a zip lock bag and squeeze out any air then i kept them in a file cabnet in the shop so no light would get to them.:twocents:

after reading this post i checked my L.C soft plastic paint i have the red and black.i bought them a a lil over a year ago and only used them a few times.they havent ben opened in months.i was expecting to find the same problems as mentioned in this post but mine was fine the red and black color had seperated and settled to the bottom and the clear had risen to the top.i shook it up for a few seconds and it all blended together perfect.

the reason i mention this is maybe it has something to do with the way the bottles are closed and stored or maybe its just luck of the draw.on mine after the lid is screwed on tight i hold it upside down for a few seconds on the thought that the left over paint on the inside of the lid would kinda dry and make a seal.then i put the bottle in a zip lock bag and squeeze out any air then i kept them in a file cabnet in the shop so no light would get to them.:twocents:

It must be the individual color,not the way its stored. The black color i have is fine.....The yellow,orange,blue and pumpkin has gelled.

I know your not happy,i had it happen to me,Its our own fault for not really knowing what we were dealing with,The whole nature of this paint is to do what only a handfull of paints do and thats penetrate soft plastic and adhere,Its a highly evaporative mixture and inexperienced people,which I was one will learn the hard way,but what I did learn is check it often,look at the bottles,make sure there is no evaporation,tape the top and seal it ,I have learned this and have the same paint for over 2 years,also if you notice its getting lower have some mek and ad some shake it well or mix it and seal it back up!Some of these products require a lot more maintenance!:yay:

Sounds like this is happened to alot of us I have 6 bottles I purchased that were never opened and by the time I got around to trying them ( 3 months ) they were dried up to the point that mek couldnt bring them back. And as stated I had never worked with this before so you get a live and learn lesson but the supplier should have given alot of advice on this product and the manufacter should come up with a better way of sealing it.:?

Guys - I'm sorry for the trouble some of you are having with the paint. I did contact my supplier some time ago about the paints drying in the bottles and told them the bottles and lids I was using and was told they were fine but that the lids had to be put on really tight and there couldn't be residue on the top of the bottle, threads or lid. I don't know what more I can do. If anyone has any suggestions, you all know I am open to them!

I work with customers but there is a limit we have to put on returns and when a product is a year old, I don't know of any company who would take the product back. We do have a 15 day return policy and I even bend that a little.

Edited by Poor Boy's Woman

I will add to our web site about making sure the lids/threads are clean and tight and that the shelf life will be shortened if not and if it not going to be used right away to make sure the lids are tight before storing. The information on this paint is very limited and we do not use it in our own operation. Happy customers are important to us and we do the best we can to make you guys happy but we have to put a limit on what we can do also. I hope all of you know that.

Kim

I appreciate your comments but if your jars are fine and sealed correctly then why does un-opened paint still dry up? I think this is the bigger concern. My un-opened jars started drying up in a couple months before I realized what was happening. Adding a caution about residue on the lid and jar will not help with this. Maybe you shouldn't fill bottles until they are needed and then seal around the lids with some kind of tape that is air tight. I have started sealing my lids with tape after I use them but it's too soon to tell if this works. Please do not consider my comments as negative. Just trying to help solve this little problem. Your company is great and I've enjoyed using your products for years. This is the first issue I've ever had with an LC product. If drying up of some paint is the only problem your customers have then I'd say that's pretty darn good :yay:

To date this was the only problem I have had with this company, they have been very helpful since I started building my own lures.To recieve an e-mail that read there is NOTHING they could do for me was surprising. Im sure if I ordered powderpaint that was unopened but turned hard as a rock I would have been credited somehow.I guess let the buyer beware.

I appreciate your comments but if your jars are fine and sealed correctly then why does un-opened paint still dry up? I think this is the bigger concern. My un-opened jars started drying up in a couple months before I realized what was happening. Adding a caution about residue on the lid and jar will not help with this. Maybe you shouldn't fill bottles until they are needed and then seal around the lids with some kind of tape that is air tight. I have started sealing my lids with tape after I use them but it's too soon to tell if this works. Please do not consider my comments as negative. Just trying to help solve this little problem. Your company is great and I've enjoyed using your products for years. This is the first issue I've ever had with an LC product. If drying up of some paint is the only problem your customers have then I'd say that's pretty darn good :yay:

I worked around chemicals like this for a long time, this paint and the chemicals in it will evaporate very fast, I am surprised that it doesnt dry out sooner once its opened. we used the same basic stuff in rebuilding cnc machines on the repaint side and it comes in a 1 gal chemical can ( which are expensive) with in 6 months the can is 3/4 full. the more air in the can the more that evaperators.

Tape won't work for sealing jars gas will still escape. chemical jars are very very costly and will probally cost more than the paint itself.

also if you open the stuff you should always replace a seal as once a seal is opened it doesnt always reseal correctly. look at a seal on a jar( any jar baby food for example) after you open it the edge of the jar leaves an indentation, so the seal is pretty much garbage onces its been opened.

using a rubber seal is what works best however this stuff will deform if not eat most rubber seals so a special rubber needs to be used hence the cost of chemical jars

On non opened jars the chemicals in the paint will break down the seal over time.

Oh forgot to add.

like all chemicals they will build a gas in the jar a gas will cause pressure, this can be caused by minute temp changes and barametric changes the weakest link is the seal the pressure will escape from the seal over time.

Edited by Delw

Its not rocket science,I have first hand knowledge of this product,not something like it,I use it every day and have bought large quantities of it from lurecraft so what I am saying is fact, tape on the seal of the jar does work,i have been using this product for over 2 years now,I let a lot of sit for months at a time and before I was taping the tops I had a problem with it drying out,have not had one since,clean the tops,tape the bottle top with electrical tape,works for me,have not had any dry up at all!!!:yay:

Edited by prochallenger
left out something