braveviper

soft plastic paint

Another variable not yet considered is the packaging.

I've never purchased directly from Lurecraft, so I cant speak for the packaging, but I have numerous samples from various chemical suppliers.

I have one in particular that is nearly 4 years old & in perfect condition.

Much like laminate/worm bags are necessary to preserve your pours, certain packaging, even plastic bags & bottles can leech & release certain chemicals & solvents over time.

The sample I mentioned is packaged in a clear plastic jar & white cap that looks to be made from styrene, but I know it isnt, it just looks & feels the same as styrene.

Anyway, another thought to consider...........

The paint comes in glass bottles with cheap tin caps,In the cap lies the problem,I love the paint so Im willing to make the cap work,I havent even had to try other caps but that would not be a bad idea,anyway the tape works for me but some may feel better trying another cap,I think the manufacturer should look into another cap also:)

The paint comes in glass bottles with cheap tin caps,In the cap lies the problem,I love the paint so Im willing to make the cap work,I havent even had to try other caps but that would not be a bad idea,anyway the tape works for me but some may feel better trying another cap,I think the manufacturer should look into another cap also:)

come one man were talking about something thats been sitting for a long time, would you feed a baby babyfood tahts been sitting for a long time?

I think customers need to start giving some vendors some slack and use some common sence, if your going to have something perishable sitting for a long time expect it to go bad, don't complain about it.

just like any plastic. paint etc. try going to a paint store and return a gallon of paint 6 months or a year later try it at a food store try it anywere they will tell you they can't replace it, why should vendors be responcible for a product that is way out dated especially perishable stuff.

I can tell you why they shouldnt be. cause VENDORS HAVE NO CONTROL ONCE IT LEAVES THE STORE, ABSOLUTELY NONE, that goes from shipping to what you do with it, for all VENDROS know you could set it outside in the snow for 2 months then boil it.

bottom line is its always really easy for someone to say a "Manufacturer should do this or that? reason being its NOT yours and its NOT your money, but man are we the first to complain about a price being to high. I just don't get it.

Edited by Delw

come one man were talking about something thats been sitting for a long time, would you feed a baby babyfood tahts been sitting for a long time?

I think customers need to start giving some vendors some slack and use some common sence, if your going to have something perishable sitting for a long time expect it to go bad, don't complain about it.

just like any plastic. paint etc. try going to a paint store and return a gallon of paint 6 months or a year later try it at a food store try it anywere they will tell you they can't replace it, why should vendors be responcible for a product that is way out dated especially perishable stuff.

I can tell you why they shouldnt be. cause VENDORS HAVE NO CONTROL ONCE IT LEAVES THE STORE, ABSOLUTELY NONE, that goes from shipping to what you do with it, for all VENDROS know you could set it outside in the snow for 2 months then boil it.

bottom line is its always really easy for someone to say a "Manufacturer should do this or that? reason being its NOT yours and its NOT your money, but man are we the first to complain about a price being to high. I just don't get it.

Del I see your point, although listen to what im saying. UNOPENED container turning useless in 12 months? You dont have a problem with that? So you would say "oh well" and toss it in the trash? Any liquid should stay liquid in a sealed container otherwise it is not a sealed container is it?

Del I see your point, although listen to what im saying. UNOPENED container turning useless in 12 months? You dont have a problem with that? So you would say "oh well" and toss it in the trash? Any liquid should stay liquid in a sealed container otherwise it is not a sealed container is it?

Me personally No I wouldnt have a problem with it. I have gel coat and fiberglass that I am using for a boat restore project on a gambler. I bought it for my other restore boat, been sitting for 1.5 years. Fiberglass was crusty on the top, I call my self a dumb**** for not storing it properly and went and bought another 5 gals container for 125 bucks. Never said a word to the guy I bought it from. I got gel coat laying in the shop unopened thats been sitting for 2-3 years. its no good I can guarenetee it. hot and cold in the shop during the years its my fault for not using it with in a reasonable amount of time.

Same thing with plastic. you leave it unopened for 1-2 years and you finally open it and its hardened on the bottom or is full of bubbles is it the venders fault? if so why?

Vendors have no control over how it is stored. leave it in a garage or in the shed we all know it will have issues, Can't blame a vendor for that.

what about if someone bought 100 bags of baits from you lets say stik baits. 1 year later you get a call that the baits faded in color you going to replace them? how about if the customer left them in the back yard on his patio for a full year in direct sunlight and heat and cold.

I guess what I am trying to say is we all need to take some responcibilty for what we do or don't do, its not always someone elses fault, some ( can't think of the word..?) needs to be used,

Any liguid should stay a liquid in a sealed container doesnt apply to this type of liquid. for the simple fact is is way above and beyond a normal liquid. Your talking about a liquid that is highly highly flamable ,and highly evaporative( forget the proper term). Just a a few degrees of tempature difference changes the characteristics.

When that stuff first came out my buddy had some we were in his garage, right then I knew I didnt want anything to do with it, the smell reminded me of some stuff I smelt when I was a kid as in highly flamable stuff more so than Jp-5 and ether.

My 6th and 7th grade D.O.D. (Department of Defence in Japan) chemistry teacher Mr.Green taught me alot about chemicals,( I wish they would still teach this in schools) plus working with dad in the navy in fuel and chemicals that they played with and the testing of these fuels and chemicals I had the oppertunity to learn alot about different liquids and gas's and how they worked what they needed to be stored in and how long the would last amd the best of all how loud they Flash and go BOOM etc etc.

Yes I really had chemistry class's in the 5th and 7th grades and I mean real chemistry were we got to play with everything that is hazardous now, mercury, all acids in both concentrates and diluted forms 6m 12m etc etc, chemicals that make bombs, fuses and some really cool stuff. Potasium permaginate and glycerin was always my favorite, I had jars and jars of that stuff. there was always a neighbor that didnt like kids so why not a better way to cause a small semi explosion under his bedroom window at 2am when we were all asleep at 9pm,all it took was a small dixie cup of Postasium permaginate few drops of glycerin setting on some ice wrapped in plastic and 2 cherry bombs. Yeah I always enjoyed hands on chemistry ;):lol:

I love the paint,The cap is a cheap cap but I made it work,and sometimes bringing up problems with products or packaging is the only way for a product to become even better,the fact is the cap is the weak link,like it or not,i did not start the post but thought I would chime in and try to help,I agree to give the manufacturer some slack,the cap is just a small problem,relax

Edited by prochallenger

Thanks everyone for posting your opinions about this. I will check into different cap but please keep in mind we do not "seal" the bottles. They are glass bottles and we hand tighten the lids. I first started carrying this paint because I had so many requests for it and nobody could find it. I will continue carrying it. Del is right when he says there has to be a certain time constraint put on returns. We have limitations as to how long we can have a product before returning it to our suppliers too. Most of the time it is within the same time frame we give our customers.

I really appreciate all the feed back and appreciate all of you as customer!!!

Kim

Parafilm is very inexpensive and will seal those lids just fine. We use it in the medical field to seal open bottles or samples to prevent evaporation or changes to the samples.

I'll get a link as it comes in a roll. You just tear it off and wrap it around whatever you are trying to seal. It is kind of like saran wrap but more gummy.

Jim

Link to parafilm... http://www.labdepotinc.com/Product_Details~id~0~pid~300.aspx

Edited by ghostbaits
additional info

Just to add to the list of paints... I use something called Paint for Plastic by the Plaid company. It is water based so clean up is easy and it does not have the chemical smell at all.

My painting skills are VERY limited and I have not tried to shoot this paint through an airbrush. It does work very good for dots or markings. On the downside, it will rub off after a little while unless dipped over.

I bought my 12+ colors at Michael's for about $2.39 for a 2oz bottle.

Jim