Baitman0928

Bubbles!!

I keep my materials under controlled surroundings..I also have lots of air bubbles in the Calhoun.....it doesn't matter soon as you start to heat it up bubbles show...I don't have that problem with LC...It is very frustrating that Calhoun looks carbonated or worse. I won't use Calhoun again.

It maybe that the plastic needs a few more seconds in the microwave. The extra heat will thin the plastic that little bit more, allowing the bubbles to rise to the surface and can then be scraped off the surface. A thermometer would help, so that you don't heat too much and burn the plastic.

Dave

Guys I think you will find as Vodkaman pointed out that your plastic needs more heat. I use Calhoun s as you all know and I have crystal clear baits. I purchased an Infrared Thermometer and Sense I did it has told me that when I have bubbles I have cold plastic. I have found that it needs to be above 335 degrees to get the bubbles to disappear. It has nothing to do with Calhoun Plastic but us as the users. I have customers that use to say same thing but now they are using Calhoun and love it.

I never did use a microwave, but yesterday just so happens I saw 2 fellas using some calhoun plastic and a Microwave. I noticed if the temp was not high enough the first warming there were bubbles in the plastic, then they re warmed it and I imagine the viscosity of the plastic was less and the bubbles released and plastic was clear. They also had Laser thermometer.

I pour with a pot and with the thermometer , makes it much easier to make sure you have no bubbles and no scorching of plastic.

Hope you get it sorted out soon :yay:

Theres a few things that will cause these types of bubbles, if its the ones I am thinking of. They been a pain in my ass for the last 4 years, havent seen them in 2 years, not seeing them as of our last shipment either. This problem has cost me thousands and thousands of dollars in the past to find the cause in outside testing and cure.

There are so many different things that cause bubbles that no one can really trouble shoot them with out actually seeing them. Calhoun doesnt even have a clue most of the time.

If its the ones I have seen its a viscosity issue like on one batch in the past(2 years ago) viscosity issues are basically the formula is in specs but as at the top limits or bottom limits, and the plastic is a little to thick to let the bubbles rise and pop freely especially in a microwave. I've touched on it in the past and kajan just mentioed it as well.

An oven works best to cook all plastics no if's an's or Butt's about it, second is the hot pot and third is a microwave.

The microwave is believe it or not the worst thing to use out of the three. It heats plastic way to fast and doesnt allow a even heat to the plastic, you can notice this by watching it heat and then you will see most of its perfectly clear but on the sides and bottom its tinted white. this is un cooked plastic, just haveing it sit for a while will actually cook the uncooked plastic, it needs to be stirred.

Don't get me wrong a microwave works great but its not even close to being the best, you will get clearer and deeper colors if you use an oven or stove and have less problems.

if its not a viscosity issue (aka Surface retention)its more than likely moisture, moisture is a funny thing as most people don't understand it.

just having you container sitting on the floor will cause condensation in any plastic. haveing sunlight hit it will cause condensation, hot and cold enviroments will cause it( fluctuation in temps).

The microwave will cause it faster than anything else.

if your house is 60º your plastic is lets say 60º then you pour it into a cup and ut it in the microwave and hit the button, 3 mins later your at 350º in three mins you went 290º in tempature that causes mositure.

were as on a stove or in an oven the moisture is burned off over a longer period of time.

right now the eastern USA is experiancing drastic weather changes warm hot ice cold, this all effects the plastic. in the winter time is typically when you will see bubbles exist and in high humidity times as well but not as often as when its cold.

Can it be fixed? Yes and no, the typical fix for this is let the plastic set for a few mins just till it starts cooling off then zap it again until its to the pourable stage that you like.

a Temp guage won't help as its does nothing to begin with except just tell you what temp your plastic it. during certain times of the year and always from batch to batch and hardness to hardness your temps will be slightly different, its best if you going by pourabilty and how it looks.

Harder plastic will also cause more bubbles that softer plastic in most cases. but I have seen it in the reverse as the batchs are never made at the same time.

Sometimes but not always you can thin your plastic out by adding just a few drops of softener and missing it very well.

Now I assume your are just pouring straight plastic with no additives like salt or scents? if you are using additives such as salt and scents then disreguard everythign which I just wrote as you have a different type of bubble problem.

Its not limited to Calhoun I have seen M-F do it and Lurecraft have do it. Calhoun tends to have more problems with surface retention than others and only in the winters with extream cold, this winter is one of them.Usually the Lurecraft and M-f are moisture related issues and not surface retention.

One other thing sence bubbles rise to the top this is why sometimes pouring pots are a good thing as they won't put the bubbles into your plastic like pouring them from a pyrex or anchor cup.

Delw

Edited by Delw

Fellers your making this all too complicated..... Go buy a hot plate [griddle type] from wally world, cost about $20. Zap your plastic, mix in all your junk, zap it again, then throw it on the griddle for a few minutes. The bubbles will make their way to the side and pop or cool off enough to stick to the side of the cup. Zap it again and pour away bubble free. No need to get all fancy with temp gauges and special stir sticks..... My basement is 55-60 degrees right now and I didn't have any problems with bubbles this morning.

Oh yeah and it was Calhoun plastic.... The griddle can also double as a warmer for heating molds.

I was using Calhoun Soft and since I don't pour every day (or week) it was separated when I wanted to use it. So I had to shake the jug before using it...this causing the bubbles...they always cooked out...just took a while. I finally cooked it all at once...got the bubbles out and poured it on trays then cut it into chunks for later use. This solved the separation issue and the chunks are easy to store and use.

You must shake/mix your plastic every time before you use it no matter what brand you are using.

The plastisizer is heavier then the softner they use to make it with so plastic will settle/spererate heavier stuff being on the bottom lighter stuff being on the top.

Some plastic settle/seperate faster than others but they ALL settle/seperate.

If you don't you will not get the same results each time you cook it.

Sounds like hard work, mixing up 5gal drums of plastic. I would probably design some kind of drum rotator, so that it was always ready for use. Maybe a timer to switch it on 20 mins per day. But you know me by noe, always over the top.

Dave

Dave I mix the 5 gal one time then pour it into 1 gal jugs .. lot easier to mix this way ... Longhorns way is great but I never know exactly what I am going to need ... have to be careful of some colors when reheating as they will off color.

My :twocents:

JSC

:)

:eek::eek: hi i have just started to make plastic everything and (microwaves are sht for melting plastics ) take your time do it right heat your molds if you can use a hot plate OR griddle plate OR THE BEST IS A SMALL CHEAP LITTLE OVEN TO HEAT YOUR MOLDS AND COOK PLASTIC ON TOP ALL 4 BURNERS 4 COLORS AT A TIME THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK :censored::?

when you guys are cooking in an oven or on the stove what are you heating the plastic in?

Also What tepms does the plastics need to be before you pour? I wlways just eyeball it but I think I may be too scared of scorching and not getting it hot enough.

Last question, If I store my plastics in an unheated garage will it ruin them?

what about already made baits? will it hurt them to get really cold out in the garage?

I noticed that thicker DWP molds tend to create large bubbles in baits, even after baking at 300 for an hour and coating with Elmer's. I decided that this was due to moisture boiling off, so I bake them longer now. This appears to have fixed my problem.

I use LC plastic in a microwave, shake it like crazy before heating, and do not see the bubbling problem when I use Aluminum or RTV molds. I haven't tried the oven or pot method yet, but look forward to building a presto pot this spring, using all the great info from you guys on this forum.

Thanks,

Dave

Sorry to re-hash this but ... I'm running into the bubbles too. I found that after getting my plastic nice and hot in the mic ... I let it sit for about 2 mins and then air settles out but, the glitter also settles in the bottom. Mix it and the bubbles are back.

I don't make enough to justify a pot ... I mix about 8oz's per color and pour.

Are the bubbles going to make my baits "float" ? Will salt offset this ?

So many questions ... sorry. I'm real new to this.

Rich

I do not want to blame any one plastic or seller and I won't. I have tried the "old" Lurecraft plastic and it separated badly. I sometimes had to get a steel rod and get the hardner off the bottom of the gallon jug. I have not used the new owner's plastic but reports say it is much better but still needs stirring. I went to MF plastic and ALL my troubles went away. Scorching, bubbles, discoloring etc. I am sure most people who use Calhouns love it and I might too, if I ever used it. I haven't. I will stick to what works for me. Very little shaking and virtually no settlement. Excellent plastic for my hard earned dollar. I use the SS Joe:twocents:

LOL!!! I know it is not funny to the guys experiencing it as I have been there! This topic comes back time and time again.

As Del stated, there are so many variables and it happens, more or less, to all plastisol products. It is impossible to know what is going on unless you get into the person's shop and dissect the environment, tools, ingredients, etc.

If you use a mic, bubbles are a part of life. Like gunnies said, get a hot plate. Just be careful with the pyrex on the hot plate!!!

:twocents:

Jim

IMO the very best way to heat plastic is with infrared lamps as I've been doing for 35 years...there are so many advantages to this method. I'm going to build a new worm table for myself sometime in the near future and will take photos of it and make a post. Don't have time now...in process of changing boats.:twocents: