MONKEYqpHUNTER

Camera Setting

I Was Wondering If Any One Could Tell Me What Settings Such As Shutter Speed And Flash Should I Set My Camera To When Taking Photos In A Light Box Thanks .........shane

no flash, set the camera to the type of light you are using and adjust the shutter speed. use the camera on manual settings and also try to use the macro ( butterfly picture is macro)

Thats what is nice about digitals you can keep shooting and not waste money.

Thats what is nice about digitals you can keep shooting and not waste money.

Yup......nailed it Del. Best investment I ever made was a nice digital camera. I had a really cool older Minolta, but I'll bet only half the pictures would turn out good. Finally broke down and paid good money for a digital and then kicked myself for waiting so long.

BTW......the same camera that I paid 500 bucks for 3 years ago goes for about 70 bucks now! They are cheap now......and well worth it. :yay:

Flash can be used, but it would require a multiple flash gun arrangement and gets a bit messy. A single flash just gives hard shadows, but a second flash from the side solves the problem.

We've all seen studio setups, were the flash points back into a brolly. This can be done by pointing the flash back to a sheet of paper. This reduces the hardness of the light.

Even a single flash, mounted from the side (using a cable), can give good effect, but straight on flash is a waste of time.

Dave

Some automatic cameras just have a straight on flash without option for add on flash. If it is absolutely necessary to use the flash, covering the flash with a thin piece of paper, white plastic, cloth etc can soften the flash to usable levels. Like Delw said, digital only cost you the $ to recharge the batteries and time. Just shoot with diff setting until you get the result you are looking for. Don't forget to take notes so you can repeat. Else most software viewing programs can excess the exif information embedded in the photo, you can check your setting there.

I went totally digital several years ago. Some tricks I recall from my 35mm days to eliminate camera shake for closeups was to use a remote shutter cable or the self timer. Most digitals have a self timer so set it for a few seconds and keep your hands off the camera and let it do it's thing.

Gary

Gary yup the remote shutter cable, I was really surprised not to see a place for it when I bought a digital SLR, then my daughter was reading the book and said I could use the computer and a usb cable and do everything from the pc.

That just blows my mind.

Cameras have come a long way since the old 35mm stuff.

it took me a bunch if years before I would even consider a digital, then Mom and dad got me one for by birthday it was cool hadnt used a 35mm since. then about 4-5 years later I got a really nice cannon. Now I am ready for a newer bigger one ;)

Gary yup the remote shutter cable, I was really surprised not to see a place for it when I bought a digital SLR, then my daughter was reading the book and said I could use the computer and a usb cable and do everything from the pc.

That just blows my mind.

Cameras have come a long way since the old 35mm stuff.

it took me a bunch if years before I would even consider a digital, then Mom and dad got me one for by birthday it was cool hadnt used a 35mm since. then about 4-5 years later I got a really nice cannon. Now I am ready for a newer bigger one ;)

I've seen other posts about using the PC to control the camera. I'm gonna dig out the manual to see if I have that feature.

I have a "middle of the road" Canon S3 IS. Not as many features as the bigger EOS series, but it covers my needs nicely. Even shoots 30 minute videos which covers my grandkids school presentations.

Gary

I've seen other posts about using the PC to control the camera. I'm gonna dig out the manual to see if I have that feature.

I have a "middle of the road" Canon S3 IS. Not as many features as the bigger EOS series, but it covers my needs nicely. Even shoots 30 minute videos which covers my grandkids school presentations.

Gary

I was hoping the SLR I got shot videos and SLRS dont which really sucked.

I mentioned the pc camera thing to my daughter last night, she said that there is some program or attachment to photoshop that will let you ( if you have the camera option, mine was listed) go directly into photoshop and shoot the pics from there with all the tweaking that photoshop gives.

Didnt make any sense to me cause she was talking in tech terms she goes to a local CC for photoshop and some other things.

I have Photoshop Essentials. I'll poke around and see if it has that feature. Thanks for the tip.

Canon's software comes with it ... I don't have it in front of me but its on the white CD. It came with my DSLRs but, never had a use for it.

Shooting in a tent ... you should have lights outside of it pointing in. The trick with tents and lights ... get a proper white balance. If you keep your shutter speed high enough, you'll never have to use a tripod.

Happy shooting

I would go for a tripod with a cable release (or computer trigger as mentioned previously). This would allow me to use a slow shutter speed. The slow speed will force a small aperture and give a larger depth of field. This is very important when doing close-ups, especially if photographing the lure from an angle. Using a fast shutter speed, you are likely to get the nose in focus, but the rear treble will be blurred.

If the depth of field cannot be adjusted to get the entire lure in focus, you must make sure that the eyes are in focus, this goes for all photography.

Dave

Monkey

I think what you're after is image sharpness, contrast and brightness control. The other thing you might consider are natural versus white background, over head light wattage versus flash and whether a macro lense attachment would give a clearer close-up.

Taking the last thing first - I bought a macro lens kit for my Cannon A560 a few years ago on Amazon for $30 bucks. I has three different power lenses for magnifying the object for super detail. The attachment for the lenses was cheap and fits most digitals.

Macro lenses focus light and allow for more contrast of even tiny objects. When I can see .008 black flakes in a poured bait, I know the resolution is good!

Flash or no flash. Proper lighting allows you to shut the flash off and allow the aperture/ shutter speed to adjust just fine.

Agree completely using a tripod and camera timer. Held held is okay for distance shots, but for super resolution, they go hand in hand.

I prefer sunlight and natural backgrounds (wood, stone, rock, pebbles, underwater). Halogens come in natural light or white light and light sources can be one or more. Shadows can be regulated with light source direction(s) and I've never needed to use a light tent.

I use white light/ white background when taking pics of hybrid designs for my archive of lure ideas. (see picture and note the felt tip ink print)

I am not a camera buff, so Photo Shop is out of my league. I've always used much simpler Programs - one called Arc Soft that came with my camera and another from Microsoft that allows every option you can think of to modify your shot. Adobe also has a simple photo program.

4 inch Sassy Shad Grub and Shad equals Sassy Grub that caught bass Nov 15 2008.jpg

4 inch Sassy Shad Grub and Shad equals Sassy Grub that caught bass Nov 15 2008.jpg

4073_thumb.attach

Canon's software comes with it ... I don't have it in front of me but its on the white CD. It came with my DSLRs but, never had a use for it.

Shooting in a tent ... you should have lights outside of it pointing in. The trick with tents and lights ... get a proper white balance. If you keep your shutter speed high enough, you'll never have to use a tripod.

Happy shooting

yeah I should have mentioned that better. I got side tract.

that comes with the camera automatically,

the one I was talking about gives you photoshop like features in your camera before you shoot the pic at least thats the way my daughter explained it to me. you can adjust color right on your big screen monitor and basically what you see on the screen is what you get when you hit the button to take the pic.