Jwags

Building two-piece rods

@ Jwags

I don't know much about rod building , so far I only did some crudely furnished repair jobs without any sense for beauty .

But I remember one ocassion , years ago , when one guy , that I knew , set the hook on a bite with his brandnew 300 Deutschmarks(those days no Euros yet) two piece carp rod and it broke apart .

When checking the damage we have found , that the female bottom portion of the ferrule had just split up .

There were no reinforcing windings on the end of the bottom section , don't know , whether by intention or Shimano just forgot it , he had claimed warranty and he got it , anyway !

But since on my repair jobs I haven't failed to make these reinforcements , tought me a lesson !

good luck:yay: , diemai

The rod is a factory two-piece blank. I was just informed that modern two piece blanks come from the factory with a built-in ferrule so there is nothing that needs done.

That is correct.

I wrap the female section about 1/2" long. And then the male section about 1/4" long. Between my 2 coats of finish I assemble the rod, aligning the guides, and then place an alignment marker on each of the wraps. I just draw a small line in white ink with a straight edge.

That is correct.

I wrap the female section about 1/2" long. And then the male section about 1/4" long. Between my 2 coats of finish I assemble the rod, aligning the guides, and then place an alignment marker on each of the wraps. I just draw a small line in white ink with a straight edge.

Thanks, good to know. I was wondering if I should wrap the female end just to make sure I don't get a split. I think I will.:yay:

jeremy

You are also going to get a different opinion on spine from everyone you talk to from its critical to completely ignoring it to adjust it to make the rod appear straight. Just remember you are building a custom rod. Put the extra time in and check the spine. Its not hard,(most of the time) and it is your rod. It just irritates me when I see people building rods that wont take the few minutes extra to do the job right.

Agree with MT here...you're building a custom rod here...what's another minute of evaluation? Not to mention if you can squeak out just a little more performance...I'll take that any day over a rod that looks perfectly straight if you sight down the axis.

Some thoughts on spine that I happen to agree with and pretty much adhere to but really couldn't communicate nearly this well...

When you load the rod, the material on the outside of the curve is placed in tension and that on the inside of the curve is placed in compression. Since there