Zib

Boggs or Hagen's Wire Bender???

Hey guys,

I was planning to buy a Boggs Tackle Marker for a B-Day present to myself. :yes: However, since I plan on making large musky bucktails (10" to 13" total length) I didn't think the Boggs would handle the longer shaft. I seen that Boogs has the extension that you can use with the base cut in half but was wondering if that will still have some limitations? Are there any limitations with regard to the Hagen's making the bigger bucktail spinners? I'll also be making smaller French spinners for bass. Should I buy the Boggs with the extension or should I just get the Hagen's?

Thanks

I have both. I modified Hagen's to accept 0.62. It wasn't really hard and it works fine now. Bogg's is good wire bender, but it will not work with longer wire. I use it for smaller inline spinners.

Hope it helps.

Regards, PSV

Edited by psv

I have both also, with adapters. I find myself using the round nose pliers 98% of the time. For the .062 wire (which I don't use alot because of the difficulty of bending), I still use round nose pliers and a vise. There are a couple of good tutorials using pliers for .051 and .062 wire, I'll look for the links. Check them out.

You can find roundnose pliers at Hobby Lobby, Sears, Michaels, most craft stores that have anything to do with jewelry making. They mostly sell 5" but you might get lucky and run across a bigger one. I bend a lot of custom made .063" which makes my hand a little tired (I'm strong enough now, cuz I'm a young guy and a weight lifter, too, so I am looking for an easier way, cuz i sure won't be doing this in ten more years!), but bending .051" isn't too bad. You might even find the roundnose pliers in a walmart if you go look in the jewelry making section.

Hope this helps

Alex