red ranger

Question about worm oil ???

I started poring one year ago,never used any worm oil. I curied the baits for twenty four hours before bagging.Some of the bags where

stored in the boat for four to eight months,some of my worms were bent junk no good. I bought worm bags and worm oil from Dels, wow the worms sucked up the all of the oil, I put a lot in.I am wondering if the oil will condition the worms even if you cant feel or see the oil. Do all oils do this.

Edited by red ranger

I started poring one year ago,never used any worm oil. I curied the baits for twenty four hours before bagging.Some of the bags where

stored in the boat for four to eight months,some of my worms were bent junk no good. I bought worm bags and worm oil from Dels, wow the worms sucked up the all of the oil, I put a lot in.I am wondering if the oil will condition the worms even if you cant feel or see the oil. Do all oils do this.

Worm oil is basically used for one thing and one thing only and thats to get people to buy baits. worm oil makes baits look alive in a store people like to sqeeze the packages if they see a bait nice and shiney and moves easily they will buy it wether the bait catchs fish or not.

On store shelves bags of baits dont last very long so generally people don't notice it.

anybait with salt in it will absorb the oil and swell the baits also one other thing to look at is worm oil doesnt have UV inhibators, why I have no clue but the don't so leaving bags of worms with worm oil in them they may show a slight yellow tint to them if contacted with sunlight

Its pretty much the same for all oils, especially with salt in the baits that will ever draw moisture. ever leave a senko on the deck of your boat for a long time? it will grow1.5-2times the size in dia.

think of a bait with salt as a sponge. personally I would just drop a few drops of scent and be done with them or nothing at all.

So how do you prevent bent worms over a long time in the bag or what ever you store them in? I never use salt, only in stick baits,and yes i know they will swell.
make sure there strait in the bag. not sure how you getting bent baits. i have had baits in bags for over a year and they are fine. not bent.:whistle::whistle:

I understand what he is talking about I think its packaging.

I assume you mean when your putting the worms in the bags they are bending and kinda stick to the bag.

just use a few drops of worm oil. for example what I do is pour a bunch of worm let them cool toss them in one of aprils tupperware containers drop a few drops of oil on then and mix the worms up. then they slide into the bags nice and easy.

a few drops of that stuff goes a long way and won't be noticeable

Is that what your asking?

Delw

i use a little worm oil. i squirt a little on the inside of the bag on the sides. makes the baits go in easy. like del said. little goes a long way.

DITTO :yay: ... also if you are putting soft baits on a jig try a drop on the end before sticking the hook in ... :)

JSC

I put garlic oil in the bags and the on a sheet of stainless steel to cure out strait for 24 hr. I just wanted to know if worm oil was some thing special. I use my rod locker for loose bag storage.Yamamoto Berkley Zoom are just fine no matter how they lay in the bags. new to pouring,ben fishing for a Loooooong time.:) no salt!

Edited by red ranger

I agree with you Zbass about rolling the baits for bagging, but I dont like mixing scent with salt. The baits dont absorb the scent as well. Years ago manufactors sold the idea that salted baits catch more fish, it helps a little. I think the real reason they started using lots of salt was to increase the volume of plastic by using more salt and less plastic.Then Yamamoto came up with the only real reason for using salt the SENKO. :yay: