MuskyGary

Do-It Blank Mold

You can use a cnc machining center, or a milling machine. For all you machinist, I know what the machines do, but I don't know the correct names. Anyway, what you mill or hog out on one side has to be duplicated on the other side. This has to be done on the centerline of the pinned halves, as when you close the two halves both side must line up perfectly. BTW, I don't believe Do-It's molds are machined. I think they are cast, correct me if I'm wrong. If you are going to attempt to do this by hand, it is going to be very tedious. If you are going to have it machined, I hope you have a good friend that will do it for you. I design for a living, and a machinist , machining time and a design is going to be very expensive.........I hope this helps.

Cadman is right about the cost. I bought a blank for about 40 bucks then took it to a local machine shop to have some 1/4 oz. drop shot cavities cut into it. that was before Do-it released their production dropshot molds. It cost me $190.00 to have eight cavities cut into it. Then about two months later Do-it released the production molds. I think you would do better by having someone like Shawn Collins make you one from scratch. Just a thought.

Thanks for the replys and info. I think I'll hold off on that project for awhile. What I wanted to make was a shyster spinner body in one tp two ounces to use as a musky spinner body. The ones on the market now (made from metal) cost over a dollar apiece! If I could make them out of lead I could powder paint them and get by a lot cheaper!:yes::yes:

MuskyGary,

Take a look at the tutorial I submitted. Last year I experimented with building my own aluminum mold and it turned out pretty well to my standards. It isn't that daunting, and if you have some bait making experience and basic skills, you can do it. I bought my own aluminum from Metal Express, cut my own blanks, built my own handles and it will cost you less than you might think. I bought a Black & Decker rotary tool, bits, and aluminum blanks for what you will pay for the Do-It blank. A little practice and maybe a few failures might happen, but there is a lot of room on the blank to make a good one. If you have any questions, post a reply on the tutorial and I will help you along.

Rock