CObasser

Curing POP in micro

Plaster of paris is the powder you start with. Once water is added and it cures, it becomes gypsum. If the gypsum is heated 120 - 180 deg C, it converts back to plaster of paris.

Source: plaster of paris -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

The point of this is that, if you microwave or oven cure, you have to keep the temperature below 120 deg C, otherwise the surface will become crumbly and useless.

When I choose to oven cure, I use the lowest setting and wedge the door open an inch or two.

I have read that microwave works, in 3 minute blasts. Never felt inclined to try it though, because of the 120 deg C rule.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I don't think I microwave is a good thing to cure anything with, reason being is a microwave is concelled, it works off mositure.

the molucules in water go into a rapid movement and thats what causes heat.

so evaporation won't be happening in a microwave like and oven.

if there is no moisure in something and you put into the microwave it won't get hot.

In an oven the water is kinda drawn from the part through evaporation from the heat in the elements.

Dave could probabally answer this better

I do not know about microwaving PoP, but there is a very similar plaster material that I use that is cured using a microwave. They sell the material at Micheal's craft store. It is a very fine white powder plaster that makes awesome molds with high detail. You do not get the gritty consistency that plaster of paris gives you. I think it was around 5-6 bucks for 5lbs. Anyway the package says microwavable and basically you just put it and nuke it. I can not remember the exact brand right now, but would be happy to find out later tonight when I get home if you are interested.

I use this claims to be a bit harder than plaster. Instead of inbedment I affix the postive to the bottom of the mold container and I pour over the positive I've gotten great results almost smooth as glass, I suppose because the water is heavier and air bubbles rise. And it is also available at Michael's.

Activa's Art Plaster

Chris