tucker2

Best PLastic Discussion Question...

Hey guys, I am a faithful LC plastic user for about 7 years now. With that being said, I can't help but be curious about the calhoon plastic. My problem with trying it out is that I cannot figure out how to buy it in bulk. I usually buy 2 to 4 (5 gallon) buckets per year and as far as I can tell, Calhoon only comes in gallons. Does anyone know if I can get this in a 5 gallon version to check it out?

I used LC plastic for years then got turned to Calhoun by the guys here and I thought plastic was plastic.... boy was I wrong. Calhoun's plastic seems to be a better quality and much softer and feels more life like to me. I got a 5 gallon sample free and never bought LC again. Call them and get a sample and give it a shot.

Nathan Firebaugh

Fireball Lureshttp://www.LunkerCabin.com' rel="external nofollow">

Edited by redg8r
URL Removed

calhoun soft plastic is NOT softer than Lure craft 536 or MF super soft. it is between the regular lurecraft and 536 or between Mf super soft and mf regular.

in order to make calhoun soft like lurecraft 536 or mf super soft you must add softener.

if I remember correctly the amount of softener needed is 1.5oz per 8oz of calhoun soft.

Delw

I, too, used LC for years. Then I was turned on to MF and have used it ever since. I don't know if LC changed but the hardener was very difficult to get off the bottom and stay mixed. MF just needs a quick shake and its ready. I have not tried Calhouns so I can't say anything nice or bad about it. I like and trust MF and their quick service therefore no reason for me to change. I only use the super soft.

calhoun soft plastic is NOT softer than Lure craft 536 or MF super soft. it is between the regular lurecraft and 536 or between Mf super soft and mf regular.

in order to make calhoun soft like lurecraft 536 or mf super soft you must add softener.

if I remember correctly the amount of softener needed is 1.5oz per 8oz of calhoun soft.

Delw

u sell it but you said this man your too smart:lol:

u sell it but you said this man your too smart:lol:

Yes I do, I would rather have someone buy something they want then get on the phone and complain cause its not as soft or as hard.

If you been around this website very long you would see that people commonly think when ordering that calhoun soft is the same as supersoft or 536, and they are disapointed when they get it.

All it takes is about and oz of softner and you have the same duarometer reading.

Delw

Del Thanks for the ratio. I appreciate it. I do like how soft LC 536 is but I have had a few issue with the hardener on the bottom etc. so I am excited to play the field with some new plastic.

JT

Jt all plastic settle/ seperate, they ALL must be shaken and mixed extreamly well before use for consistancy, they also all do the same thing in the end result. some have different characteristics of others.

plastisizer is heavier than dinp (aka softener) so they are going to settle over time.

Delw

Why not try out M-F, Ozark, Calhoun's and LC brands to get the plastic you are looking for and the characteristics you are looking for.

I for one do not like having to add softener or hardener after I buy a plastisol product. Its not hard or anything, I just like it when I get "pour" ready plastisol.

Most companies will send out a sample at a minimal cost.

Jim

I have been using calhoun's plastic for years and in my opion it is the best out there! I have used them all over the years.(lc, mf net craft and a few others) calhoun's for me gives me the result I am looking for in the end product.I deal directly with Chuck at Calhoun's for the best deal. I do know that he has a 5 gallon min. on plastic ordered. Calhoun's is also the cheapest around and always has been. Chuck always gives me A-1 service and has always answered all my ?'s. I Always receive my order within a few days unlike some of the other guys where you have to wait two weeks or longer! Just my 2 cents worth but I am a Calhoun's man all the way!

Del Thanks for the ratio. I appreciate it. I do like how soft LC 536 is but I have had a few issue with the hardener on the bottom etc. so I am excited to play the field with some new plastic.

JT

I need to correct that April told me its 2-3 oz per gal of calhoun soft to make it super soft. ( not per 8oz).

Yes I do, I would rather have someone buy something they want then get on the phone and complain cause its not as soft or as hard.

If you been around this website very long you would see that people commonly think when ordering that calhoun soft is the same as supersoft or 536, and they are disapointed when they get it.

All it takes is about and oz of softner and you have the same duarometer reading.

Delw

Del - your website currently lists the plastic you sell as PolyOne LoDuro. Is this still Calhoun's or have you found another source?

Del - your website currently lists the plastic you sell as PolyOne LoDuro. Is this still Calhoun's or have you found another source?

I just found my answer on Del's forum. Has anyone tried this new plastic? How about the new extra clear plastic on Bear's site?

has nothing to do with being extra clear, its been de-aired to prevent bubbles, making it easier to work with in a microwave

96dak - What has been your experience with the de-aired plastic? Wouldn't you put the air back in when you shake the plastic to mix it back up after it settles?

Smallie

I have poured several batches of the new plastic. They put the plastic through a vacuuming vat for x amount of hours. You can incorporate air back into the plastic with improper mixing yes.As with All of the plastics we use each one has to be handled a little differently. This one is no exception. The BBCP is a thinner viscosity meaning it pours thinner and should do better on hard to pour molds , it is extremely clear, has a good texture and I ran several cups through the microwave that came out bubble free. I also poured 4 cups through the presto pot with the same results.

It is not a replacement for Calhoun or any other plastic out there. This is just available as an alternative. Some guys do not like Calhoun plastic Some do not like MF or LC. We added this as an alternative. It is a little cheaper which I liked. It is Clear I liked that. We had it De-Aired to make it more user friendly in a microwave.

We just started shipping it today so I am sure we will all start hearing how it works in the next few days.

Smallie, ive never used it but thats what i got out of reading Bear's posts on it over at his site. im up in canada and use Calhoun purchased from Tubeman and unless shipping and boarder fees get drastically reduced i dont think i will import plastic in the small quantities i use.