TEE

My eyes are falling apart!

AHHHHHH! Poured a few batches of swim baits and put some 3-d eyes (L.C.) on them just get an idea for sizing and color for each bait. I did not glue them on, so if I wanted to take them off I could. I just stuck them on like they were with the little adhesive that comes on the back of the eyes. Well, i left them on there for a week and when I went to glue them on permanantly they fell to pieces!:oooh: There was the flat back piece, the curved lens, and the pupil in a slightly gooey blob. The pieces themselves had not disintegrated, but they came apart from each other. About 12 eyes, all of the ones I had done did the same thing. The baits were not oiled...poured, cured for 2 days, and then I put on the eyes. Thoughts, guidance, and prayers welcome. Thanks guys.

T

This will happen to any adhesive eye stuck on plastisol. The adhesive reacts with the plastisol and gels. A fix is to first apply some of LC's color tech clear base, this acts as a barrier. Let it dry and then put the eye on. This will work better, but you really need to coat the eye with the clear paint after its stuck on so it will stay in place longer. Flat eyes which are thin and flexible will stay on better than 3D eyes.

I learned this lesson also. Those eyes aren't really made for soft plastic anyway. I seal the eyes by dipping on all my swimbaits. Whether you're fishing them or selling them you don't want the eyes to come off after a little use. Even with dipping if you pour some baits and let them set a for a few days you may experience the eyes not sticking very well. Before I dip I press on both the eyes to make sure they're still in place. Just part of it. Without dipping I don't see how eyes could ever stay on long. :twocents:

You are all correct,the eyes should be sealed asap,they do react with the oils in the plastic,they actually absorb it and come apart,I seal all my lures and have not had any problems or complaints,also have had some baits on hand for a long time with sealed eyes and they look as good as the day i sealed them.

Thanks guys for all of your help. I tried dipping them last nite and that really seals the eyes in. the issue is that I am using bobs 4" swimbait and when i dip just the head it leaves a rim around the head where the layer of plastic stops. if i dip the whole thing it fills in all of the detail of the bait and makes it smooth. Is this just the nature of the beast or is there a solution? thanks in advance.

There are a few options out there on that bait. #1 use rubber cement or superglue gel. It does work better, but as the others stated if your using WTP type eyes they will eventually come off. #2 Use the plastic doll type eyes with the studs. I clip the studs off and glue them to the bait OR you can heat a piece of wire and make a hole for the studs. #3 Put the eyes on the bait and carefully drip clear plastic over just the eye. #4 As someone else stated use the flat eyes then carefully drip clear plastic over them.

I personally think we all get too hung up on whether or not our baits or clear coat will hold up. I've thrown a lot of factory swims and the eyes fall off in one trip. I still keep fishing them........

i am not saying this works for everyone so give this a try. take a hole punch or single paper punch and use heavy duty ten foil. punch out the size needed and use gel super glue and glue eye to the ten foil. fold the remaining edges of ten foil arond the eye, based of the hole punch you should have about 1/32 wall of foil surronding the base of the eye (this will keep oils from migrating beneath the eye). glue eye with foil backing to the lure. i do this for my personal lures and some of the eyes have stayed on for two years of fishing in saltwater, but also some have fallen off the first day. rough up the surface of the lure and clean with acetone helps alot.

Has anyone found a dealer or maker that sells 3D eyes that aren't affected by plastisol? They must exist as they are used on Storm and Tsunami soft plastics.

Also the Storm soft plastics have a great system in which one eye has a thin metal post and the opposite eye has a socket so the two eyes are locked together and can't come off, but I have not been able to find anyone that sells them. They would be a great solution if we could find where to buy them.

Does anyone have a temperature they bring the clear coat to when they dip it? Can you bring untinted plastic to higher temperatures than tinted?

I know when I pour white baits the plastic seams more sensitive to heat but that might be because white shows even the slightest discoloration.