diemai

Sheet Metal Hinges

Hi , folks ,

After having had to go through some troubles , I am now finally able to upload my tutorial in here .

The original file size got too large to be submitted in here straight , but Jerry managed to minor it , so that it can finally be displayed in here !

My deep gratitudes go to him:worship: !

Due to that problem the picture resolution had to be minored , but I think , it is still manageable this way ,.......if you need the original pictures , send a PM to me containing your private Email adress , and I'll mail you the original file from my computer .

My gratitudes also go to Pete for having led me on the right way for this tut:worship: .

If there are any further questions , feel free to contact me !

greetz :yay:, diemai

Shortenend TU tutorial.pdf

Dieter, you are simply amazing, my friend. That is so ingenious, creative, clever, the list goes on. Great now I have to try & fabricate a hinge now. I realize how much time & effort was put into this tutorial & I'm grateful. Thank you so much for sharing your findings & I can't wait to see whats next. Take care. :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Tim

Hey dieter, glad to see that you finally got this thing posted. I have been playing with the hinge pins and havn't gotten one to flare successfully yet without deforming. So I guess I am going to have to make the jig like you did. this is a really good and very detailed tutorial. It is easy to understand. Thanks for your hard work that went into making it. John B

Thanks a lot for your kind words:o:o:o , fellas , nothing special about that tut , though !

Got so much input in here , happy , if I was able to contribute a little share as well:yes::yes: !

Thanks again :yay:, Dieter

Have been weighting my lures equipped with these hinges yesterday and I must say , that I had a tough time doing that .

These hinges do add quite a bit of weight to the rear of the lures , and I had failed to use the possibly most buoyant material for them .

So for future hinged lures I would only use abachewood , also PVC should be sufficiently buoyant ........also keep the lures a bit more voluminous , if possible .

Don't have experience with PVC baits , but I have seen on pictures and vids the loads of lead placed into their bellies , so it should be OK .

greetz , diemai:yay:

ATTENTION !

I am very sorry and also embarassed to hereby announce , that the above described CLOSED HINGE construction does not work out the way , that I have thought it would:( !

As I was going to finally assemble the sections today and tried to bend close the top lid of the CLOSED HINGE sleeve , its kink became too much weakened , so that it probably would fall off later , when fishing the lure:( !

So I decided to break off both lids , file smooth/carefully break inner edges of sleeves and utilize the OPEN HINGE method assembling the flanged tubing pin !

I am very sorry , if I should have caused any inconvinience to anybody , probably I should have waited publishing my tutorial until I would have been entirely done with this new design(for me) to gain those final experiences !

I much apologize:worship::worship: , ....greetz , diemai

Hey thats why we are all on this site to share and learn from each other maybe there was a flaw in your desighn but thats ok you will fix but the basic idea is there i actually learned alot from alll you guys on here you all put alot of effort into this hobby.:worship:

@ Vodkaman

Do you think about annealing the pins or the SSt sheets , or both ?

I do not find it neccessary , don't even know , whether it would work out with brass .

The hinge parts are not that hard to shape , and I do not think , that annealing would have prevented the above described issue about the lid breaking off , anyway !

It just happened faster , as I thought , because the steel sheet is that thin ,.......any metal would brake sooner or later , if you bent it back and forth at the same spot , only some do faster than others , depending on material and thickness.........and this is just too thin , just underestimated it :(!

greetz , diemai

Both stainless steel and brass, work harden and become brittle when working. I remember my foreman freaking out when i took a chunk of 1/4" thick stainless to the grinding wheel, I was making a bowie knife. He jerked me away from the machine and switched it off. Only a stub remained of the wheel and I was surrounded by a thick layer of gritty dust. Aparently, it could have exploded at any second.

You will have to do a google to find out the annealing methods, as I cannot remember, it has been a long time since college. Annealing relieves all the stress, something to do with molecules or vortices, can't remember which.

Dave