fmes

Glitter problem

I just started pouring a couple weeks ago, I'm pouring sticks with dels mold, using the recipe from dels site. My problem is, sometimes the glitter ends up facing mostly the same direction. If you look at the bait from the sprue end, you can hardly see any glitter, just a few pieces here and there. But, if you look at it from the other end, you can see all of the glitter. Any help would be appreciated, I tried searching the threads for this problem and didn't find anything like this, which surprised me cuz every other question I've had, I've found an answer for. Thanks.

I just started pouring a couple weeks ago, I'm pouring sticks with dels mold, using the recipe from dels site. My problem is, sometimes the glitter ends up facing mostly the same direction. If you look at the bait from the sprue end, you can hardly see any glitter, just a few pieces here and there. But, if you look at it from the other end, you can see all of the glitter. Any help would be appreciated, I tried searching the threads for this problem and didn't find anything like this, which surprised me cuz every other question I've had, I've found an answer for. Thanks.

yeah pictures would help alot, .as you can't control the dirrection of the glitter in plastic it would be impossible.

If I am thinking correctly you are probally pouring a dark bait and having a hard time seeing your glitter?? and only when its a certain direction you can see it? easy answer put more glitter in the bait and make sure you stir it just before pouring.

Delw

I'm pouring out of a pyrex cup. I pour with the mold standing up and leave it standing until I lay it down to take the sticks out. I usually leave them in the mold for about 3 minutes, sometimes longer depending on whats going on around the house.

I dont know how you did it but I am betting there are a ton of guys right now trying to re create what you did, as that is an awsum bait, glitter on one side nothing on the other.

now I know this is a long shot but by chance you didnt pour half the bait when the mold was open did you? cause that is the only thing that do somethign like that.

IMHO that is a very impressive bait., you did something that not to many people can do.

My problem is, sometimes the glitter ends up facing mostly the same direction

You state that this only happens sometimes.

Call me crazy, but I am thinking electromagnetic effects. Are you pouring close to microwave while heating your next batch or operating some other equipment?

When it happens, make a note of any equipment switched on.

Where did you get the glitter? What type?

Glitter is not magnetic, but it is subject to static. Strange things can happen around magnetic fields. But no one has ever mentioned this problem before.

Dave

Dave I thought about that earlier the magnetic part ( not with microwave) but since it was an alum mold I thought no way.

now that you mention microwave and the possibility that a microwave was near you may be right on the money with the electromagnetic field.

lots fo glitters are alum, also the process on certain glitters use a electrical process to get the color to stick to the metal, Like a plating process which I know your very familiar with.

I think your right on the money with your guestimate.

Delw

You state that this only happens sometimes.

Call me crazy, but I am thinking electromagnetic effects. Are you pouring close to microwave while heating your next batch or operating some other equipment?

When it happens, make a note of any equipment switched on.

Where did you get the glitter? What type?

Glitter is not magnetic, but it is subject to static. Strange things can happen around magnetic fields. But no one has ever mentioned this problem before.

Dave

great dave now you just wasted 40 mins of my time, this was troubling me and not I have to figure it out.

I took 4 molds put them on top and on the sides of the microwave and pouured I get nothing. both with it on and off.

so now you have me thinking, your a techy what about static electricity, I dont know if it can go through plastic or not. but I do know that if you have glitter on top of a microwave it gets a tad staticy( more than normal)

we have a little moisture in the air today so our static isnt that bad today. but could it be static charged glitter and then a microwave or metal cause a draw?

I have to figure this out cause the possibilities are endless if we can recreate it.

Delw

Edited by Delw

Del. When I did the research, static was mentioned quite a lot. Also the Van Der Waal effect and two or three other mad chemist names. I gave up as it was 05:00 and I was getting a bit tired. Like you say, this is probably worth following up on.

Another valid question would be, was salt used or not. I suspect not.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I am sorry but I find this very funny. A guy makes a post on here about a so called problem he has while pouring. And we have everyone on the board wanting to recreate his problem.:lol: You never know what your going to log on and read here from day to day. lol. I do have to say the sticks look cool.

The glitter isn't different from side to side, it's from end to end. Its visible from the tail end but not the front (sprue) end. I started pouring cooler and it seems to have gone away. Delw and Dave, now you got me thinking what if there was a way to charge the glitter and then use a magnet to change the orientation of it in the bait. You wouldn't have to pull all of it to one side, just get it to turn so that the cut (thin) edge was facing out. Since the only part of the glitter thats really visible is the large flat side, the glitter would be almost invisible. Thats what happened on my baits I think, I was pouring too hot, and pouring super slow because I was getting shrinkage dents in the baits. Since there was such a small stream of plastic and glitter going into the mold, the majority of the glitter ended up oriented in the same direction as the plastic spread out to fill the mold. I didn't realize that I was pouring too hot (really need to get a thermometer). Thanks for all the help. I've never seen a bunch of guys so willing to hlp each other out. You guys are without a doubt the best bunch of people I've ever delt with. Well, I gotta go check with the engineers at work and see if they've ever tried to change the orientation of the metal flake in the material while its being molded. (The company I work for makes plastic material for auto manufacturers)

See it was to hot HA HA HA. Tec freaks heres one for you when you heat your plastic in the microwave it is still getting hotter after you take it out to pour with it. The middle and bottom of the cup are hotter than the top and sides so stir alot to even it out. Delw please don't stick your fingure in the middle to see if its really hotter than the side of the cup LOL. People need their molds and finfever will need help unloading a moving truck when he moves back.

Well, I am happy that you found the problem, but disappointed that is wasn't something techy. It does feel a bit foolish when the answer was so simple and I spent three hours googling static anomalies an Van Der Waal's effect. One day, I will get some glitter and experiment, it is on my list.

Dave

Dave aka; the Professor, I know you love the "techy" stuff but keep this basic principle in mind for future problem solving it's know as "Occum's razor" which for the guys that haven't heard of this principle means the simplest solution is probaly the right one. I'm surprised you didn't suggest the Van Allen Belt or maybe global warming, maybe the mold was actually poured in a pararel universe and beamed here with a transporter beam by those pesky lil~ green men. Just poking you with my pointy stick hun, we all know how much you bring to T.U.

Well, I am happy that you found the problem, bDaveut disappointed that is wasn't something techy. It does feel a bit foolish when the answer was so simple and I spent three hours googling static anomalies an Van Der Waal's effect. One day, I will get some glitter and experiment, it is on my list.

Dave