MarcDavidBaits

Another Way To Heat Plastic

Bass Whisperer, I've only been pouring for 5 months now and I made a presto pot and use it but found I go back to a 2 cup Pyrex and the micro more often then not, if you plan on pouring in the hundreds at a time the pot is great but I found out real quick its cheaper to make smaller batches until you get the color recipes the way you like them.

Plus 1 mold to start will get red hot and demolding times will increase so your plastic will be in the pot longer with a higher chance of scorching. Either way good luck and I'm sure some folks will chime in with their experiences some of these guys can make killer baits with just a cup and micro.

I remember seeing your heating method on here before Longhorn, glad you posted it. I did notice the pans you are using. They have a well formed pour spout. Did you make them or buy them? I have been forming my own spouts on metal one cup measuring cups, they are o.k. but those pans look a lot better. :yay:

I made them...30-35 years ago. I formed the spout by bending with pliers. Back then they were the cheapest pans that K-Mart had. I cut off the thin aluminum handles and used old broom handles to make new ones that were burn-proof. Last winter I replaced every old handle with new ones made from dowel stock. I have searched high and low for old cheap pans like that but have found none. This method of heating is far better than the microwave. As I've said before...if I had to pour with a microwave and pyrex I think I'd give it up.:twocents:

Here is the version I made with the info I got from Longhorn's post. I used the clear lights. I left the top tube off to show the mounting of the lights. I used 8 inch ducting pipe for the tubes and put an old fashioned metal pie plate on the lower tube to hold my pouring pans from Lurecraft. The switches on the right control the upper and lower lamps.

My wife wanted me to make sure I told you guys the fridge on the left is my beer fridge and not the one in "her" kitchen.

H:DCIM100MEDIAInfraRed.JPG

I'm tryng to understand the advantage over say a presto pot? obviously it can't be cost, a presto pot cost $30 some odd dollars and the valve another $5 and holds at least up to 1 gallon of plastic safely. How long does it take to bring the plastic up to temp?

I guess with a little experimentation you could find the right distance from bulb to pot to maintain melting temps and I could see not needing a presto pot for small pours say up to 2 cups it just seems like overkill for less when a cheap microwave and a pyrex cup can achieve that. I can see you would be able to maintain plastic at pouring temp for the full batch instead of in and out of the micro after every pour. Very interesting though thanks for sharing.

Chris

Concerning heating time in the presto pot. I do not heat in the pot. I cook it in the microwave and pour it into an already warm pot. Much faster than heating it in the pot. I also mix the colors and glitter in the cup before adding to the pot. Much better way for me to get things right. I know how many cups it takes to pour 50 baits and have little to no extra plastic at the end.

Concerning heating time in the presto pot. I do not heat in the pot. I cook it in the microwave and pour it into an already warm pot. Much faster than heating it in the pot. I also mix the colors and glitter in the cup before adding to the pot. Much better way for me to get things right. I know how many cups it takes to pour 50 baits and have little to no extra plastic at the end.

How much of a hurry can you be in that pre-heating the pot and then adding the goods than it is directly in the pot? The recipe can't change between the pot and the micro if you already know the ratio? I'm confused?

It is easier for me to make sure the "recipe" is right on when I cook in the pyrex. As mentioned above, I suppose it depends on your microwave. I can cook in the microwave much faster than what I can cook in the pot. When you are limited on time, cutting the "starting" time down 15-20 minutes adds up over 5 days. It all is a time issue for me. I bought a very powerful microwave for that reason. I can nuke 2 cups of plastic to pouring stage in under 3 minutes. For the example above, 8 cups in app. 12 minutes. There is no way I can get 8 cups of plastic ready to pour in 12 minutes heating in the pot.

This is really apples and oranges. I was comparing my way to a microwave. I pour mostly two color laminates. The heat lamp system is superior. You either run out of molds or plastic...no reheating in the microwave. I can make 24 laminated swimbaits in minutes. Pouring single color sticks is another thing altogether. We all have our own ways. That's the reason I like this site so well. Have a great weekend everyone!

Gary:)

The lamps are 250 watt. The lamps (top and bottom) are a few inches from the pan. I spaced the lamps so the plastic in the bottom of the pan would be in the center. I'll measure the distance next time I'm at the shed. Have a good day.
The top lamp is approx. 4 1/2" from the inside bottom of the pan, the bottom lamp is 3 3/4" from the bottom of the pan. In theory the plastic is in the middle.

Thanks for the info! :yay:

Add one more person using this set-up. I'm going to build one.

I'm with you, I don't really care for the microwave. Too hard to maintain the proper temp.

Scott

Edited by sdsaw