John Sanner

Thickening Createx

Well, i've poured Createx into a pie pan and let it thicken up thru evaporation before....I used to do that with AquaFlow white alot cause it was way to thin.....occasionally i'll use Flotrol paint conditioner as modifier to help reduce the opacity of acrylics or to aid in the flow and open time during hot weather....its fairly thick on its own so it might be worth tryin....Ace hardware sells the stuff and a quart isn't too expensive.

On the other hand if you've got a bottle of Createx thats too watery thin, then i'd be wondering if you got a bad batch or something.....it should be good to spray right outta the bottle without having to modify it.....most of my Createx is quite old so being too thin is normally never a problem...lol...its usually the other way round and way too thick.B)

This indicates a problem...I've never encountered any Createx that is too thin too spray...and I've encountered a lot of it! Do you shake it THOROUGHLY before using? Why do you think it is too thin? If it is running on you, You are spraying too close, or too long in one spot, or either of these with too much air pressure. If you are trying to achieve close, detailed, spraying, the paint has to be fairly thin (normal Createx), and the air pressure has to be low, for the most part. I assume you're not getting condensation in your line and spitting some water along with your paint.

Dean

My red, black, and orange wants to spiderweb and I have turned my airpressure down to 15lbs and it is still doing it. I have a moisture trap on my line so I dont think it has to do with moisture.

You can still get some moisture in the line even if you have a trap. I think that very well may be your problem.

What Mercury said is true. I too have a moisture trap at the tank, but I'm still always working around both line moisture, and leftover water from cleaning between colors. No matter how much I shake out my brush and blow air after cleaning, I nearly always 1st blow out a little moisture from my cup on my gravity-fed Eclipse if I wait 15 minutes or so before getting around to the next color. 15 psi can still be too much pressure if you're a little too close, and it takes very little moisture to mess things up this close.

I use a lot of stencils in order to maintain a bit more pressure most of the time, but I do drop down low and do some close-up and fine detail work sometimes, such as increasing the size of Tater-Hog's tiny shad dots (:D) or doing fine-line stuff on the gill-plates, and in order to be smooth you really have to turn the pressure way down!

Note that most of the litttle compressors which fingernail pros use are almost tiny, and seldom make more than 15 psi max.

I do fine detail with the colors you mentioned, as do other painters I know, and making these paints thicker would just make them more difficult to spray at the low psi's necessary to do the fine stuff. In fact to do a lot of super-fine detail it would be simpler to switch to a thinner type paint than regular Createx.

Your answer lies somewhere in our discussion, I promise. You can research "spiderwebbing problems" through myriad airbrushing websites, and you'll find that thickening RTU Createx is never a possible solution.

Eventually I'll get around to adding a quality moisture trap right at my airbrush, and would have done so already if I was trying to shoot anything other than water-base acrylics.

I will add that every drop of paint I shoot is thoroughly shaken, and strained through panty-hose. (insert punchline here)

Good luck, hang in there!

Dean

Captsully,

I bet you were a terror around the station. :lol:

John,

I've found that I get spidering with the Wicked Colors airbrush paint by Createx if I spray the first coat too heavy. I think it might be the fact that it's water borne, and so it's molecules pull on each other strongly, trying to link up, and it's floating on the water carrier, not actually in contact with the surface until the water leaves.

I've found heating the lure before I spray the first coat, and spraying a light first coat, eliminates that problem. After the first coat has been dried with a hair dryer, I can go heavier on the subsequent coats, which seem to bond to the first coat much better than to the initial primer.

Craft stores sell transparent base, which is thicker and is used to thicken paints that have been overthinned to restore their film strength. Createx makes one, too, and you could try adding it to you "thin" paints to restore their film strength, so they cover better, and don't spider as much.

But I think you may find that making the first coat light, and heating the lure, may solve your problem. And keeping the subsequent coats light is always a good thing, too. You'll get a stronger paint film, because each coat is thoroughly heat set, and you won't risk sags and runs.

Thank you guys you just dont know how much of a help yall have been. I painted a little tonight and did pretty good except it took me a little over two hours to paint one dd22 in sexy shad color. When I got to my blue, neon yellow, black, and orange I would take my airbrush completly apart and made sure I had it clean and there wasnt any moisture in it and I didnt have as much problems spiderwebbing this time.

John,

whenever this happens to me.. I dust the bait first with tiny base coat white or black auto air paint.. then I use createx..... then take a hair dryer too it.. DUST IT as in very very light amout of paint.. dry it.. dust it again.. dry it... dust it one more time.. dry it.. then start to paint your pattern.. your bulding up a base in small amounts or layers that your new paint will stick too and this could help your spider..plus it will dry out any mositure so your paint will not run.. I dont use a mositure trap.. I should.. but I usually just work around it.. all my guns are connected direct to my compressor and I empty the water out of it once or twice per month.... I dont really have a clue if this will work or not for you but it helps me... You might have tried it already. But that is what I do when that happens to me.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS.. just go with it.. and call it spider shad.. That is what I do when I cant fix some kind of problem.. just make them think you ment to do that and go with it! As for my tiny shad dots MR. MCCLAIN... YOU HAVE ROOM TO TALK.. at least I know my compressor is bigger than yours!B)

David.. I was going to come see you and go fishing this fall.. I might have to rethink that visit after your post! :oooh: I like to wear pany hose when I fish... they keep my legs warm! :o

The Rookie

Edited by The_Rookie