diemai

My Latest Lure Test Video

Thanks for the test video and for the following construction explanations.It was very informative. I couldn't help but think to myself while watching the test video, wouldn't it be too cool to have a 30 pound pike explode out of the water and snatch one of those lures right then! LOL !

@ Milia B , @ flatsrat76 , @ deadeyejr .

Thanks a lot for your kind words , folks ,...... much appreciated :worship: , ............encouraging me to make some more test videos at times ;) !

And Milia , .......I am filled with that very imagination as well anytime that I hold one of my freshly done homemades in my hands :yes: , ........great expectations , .......but sometimes do come true ;):):lol: !

Thanks again , ..........greetz , Dieter :yay:

@ jamie

Thanks a lot , Jamie........much appreciated :worship: , .........metal lures are actually what I started out with many , many years ago !

And I still do like them :yes: , .........at least all kinds of spoons ,........ don't fish inline spinners THAT much anymore :blink: !

greetz , diemai :yay:

Very nice videos Diemai, I enjoyed them alot. Your spoons have a very nice swim and you are truly a master at the metal works of lure making. :worship:

Diemai I was just wondering do you still have the video that I seen on you tube awhile back of the swimbait / spoon that you made. The jointed spoon was an awsome bait and I couldnt find it again on the tube. This was also a great video of your spoons and would like to see this bait again. Great work as always and if you still have this video please post , thank you . :yay:

Edited by jamie

@ jamie

The link to that particular video is

, you may also utilize the "YouTube" search funtion for my webname there , which is "61diemai" .

Thanks a lot for your interest , .......I'm planning on making more lure test videos in future , but right now I am pretty short of leisure time for making lures , all turned a bit slow with my carving presently !

greetz , Dieter :yay:

@ jamie

The link to that particular video is

, you may also utilize the "YouTube" search funtion for my webname there , which is "61diemai" .

Thanks a lot for your interest , .......I'm planning on making more lure test videos in future , but right now I am pretty short of leisure time for making lures , all turned a bit slow with my carving presently !

:yay: Thank you ole buddy for the link.

Hi , folks ,

I have just uploaded another little video displaying my latest swimbaits and an experimental pullbait .

You may watch it here :

Please also read the describtion to that vid !

Any comments and/or criticism welcome :wink: !

Thanks for watching , ..........greetz , diemai :yay:

Thanks for the vid Diemai. I particularly like that you post all the baits, not just the ones that you consider successful. This helps us all learn and gains you more respect.

You sounded a little disappointed in the pike bait. It swam as I expected, with a fast wiggle. This being created by the lip. I am surprised that you did not try the bait without a lip. The body design looks perfect for lipless operation, which would have given a slower, more pronounced cadence.

It has a reasonable action, so I would not dare to suggest that you cut it off. Maybe try without the lip on the next one. If no action, it is easy to add a lip. You obviously have a very good 'feel' for lipless swimbaits, as demonstrated with the carp lure and your previous video.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Dave

Dieter

I don't know how I missed this posting when you uploaded it, great video I really enjoyed your presentation thanks for making it available to us wink.gif. Now you've done one, when will the sequel be ??.

Keep up the good work

philB

Thanks a lot , mates :worship: !

@ Vodkaman

Dave , actually I had built that pike swimbait WITHOUT a lip at first , weighted and blank-tested it that way in my bath tub as well !

Still I was aware right from the start , that possibly it might not work without a lip !

And it came out like this ,....... without a lip the first four to five sections did not move a single bit , rather more did cut straight through the water , .....only the rear two to three sections got into the "snaking" .

So I cut out a lip , cut two lip slots left and right of the center wire harness and fitted in the lip to just bind without glue and tried the lure again , ..........and it did snake very well now !

So I finally glued in the lip and proceeded the lure with paint ,-and topcoat .

Maybe the weight of paint and topcoats slow the action down a bit now , .......I am very certain , that in blank condition in my bath tub it moved a tad livelier !

But a good mate from a German site wrote to me , that a real pike does not swim along in that pronounced motions , so that lure action should just be OK close to the real thing , ........this does give me a bit of comfort :lol: !

I guess , that the problem with pike-shaped swimbaits is that the spindle shaped body cannot generate nor be moved sufficiently by those vortices ,.......... the considerable body width provides more resistance in the water to be easily pushed sideward by vortices and the minor body height also does not provide a plane large enough for an efficient engagement of the vortices !

It is a rather streamlined body shape , perfectly created by nature to enable the pike to do these short , but enormously fast dashes to grab its prey out of an ambush .

So not much resistance and friction in the water , thus not so many vortices to move a pike-shaped lure , ...........that's my own explanation ,.............though there are some luremakers , that have achieved beautifully snaking lipless pike swimbaits , .......my hat off to them :yay: !

Concerning displaying reject work , .......I do not have any problem with it , ........showing how things should NOT be done is equally worth compared to explanations , how something should be done correctly or successfully ,....... the learning effect is rather the same , I guess :twocents: !

The joints of this particuar bait( I have shown them a while ago in my thread "swimbait blank pictures") did not provide a 90° swing of all four sections together(maybe only 80°) , but the problem of this bait is rather it's high weight , I guess , .......... meaning that the basic (teakwood) material is not buoyant enough to carry the weight of the sheet metal hinges and still accommodate sufficient belly ballast .

If I hazard a guess ,........ if being made of a lighter material , it would have performed better as it would have been possible to trim it more perfectly with belly weight .

Anyway , gonna try it in a twitching manner , packed it in my boat lure box , ........perfect to fish my prefered water at up to 45 feet deep in autumn , as it sinks like a brick :lol: .

@ PhilB

Sorry , Phil , .....I am slowly getting fed up with making those elaborate swimbaits , ........at least for a while , ........guess , that my next vid will be about homemade spoons again , ........but definetely there will be more to come !

thanks again , .........greetz , Dieter :yay:

Edited by diemai

Hi , folks ,

Last Saturday I have made another little video displaying my latest homemade lures , ........those interested may check out

Any upcoming questions will be gladly answered :yes: !

greetz , diemai :yay:

I enjoy the videos you post and love looking at your vintage baits. Keep 'em coming. :yes:

I enjoy the videos you post and love looking at your vintage baits. Keep 'em coming. :yes:

Thanks a lot , RG :worship: , ........actually I've got another bunch of now finished lures hanging in my drying rack down the workshop , .......I am planning on shooting another video of these on coming weekend , hopefully the weather won't let me down , ....won't be fun to do in pouring rain !