Frank

Pouring Open Molds

Wondering if you guys can give me some tips on pouring open molds. The top edges look real bad and was wondering if there is some kind of trick to pouring.

A little more information and a picture would help. What are you using to pour with? What type of mold? If the edges are rough, you might not be pouring hot enough and the plastic isn't flowing to fill properly. Like I said, more info would be helpful.

Yeah little more info would help, if your under pouring plastic will shrink a bit and leave a "sharp edge" on your bait, over pour and well I'm sure you know that answer . Technique comes into play here, are you filling the body first then pouring the appendages or visa versa also when ending the pour do you whip it away leaving a very thin flash to deal with or are you stopping the pour over the bait?

Well lets say that I am picture challenged. But here is what I am doing.I am pouring into a rtv mold made by lurecraft. I am using a pyrex cup at a temp of 360 to start down to 320 at the end. I pour the body first then move to the tail. The top edge is where I dont like the sharp corners from shrinkage. I try to overfill and seem to get the same look. The best open pours that I have done is in a mold made by Bob but it was aluminium and it was a worm. I have also made a pop mold of a fluke and just cant seem to get the tails even. I like the idea of the small injector I will try and do that. Thanks for the replys so far.

THe RTV molds are the easiest to pour in one pc and to have no trimming to do. You should be able to pour it and not have to trim if you would use a pot to pour with.

Been trying for two days now and I am getting better.I have a pot I should just fire it up and try like you say.Dont want to get to much plastic going at one time though. Another thing I am getting is dimples on the side of the bait mostly toward the top. Any suggestions on that? Or maybe I am just to a*** about it. The aluminium ones are better but not there yet. Thanks for all the responces. Frank

Don't give up on the cup and hand pour yet, you've already said you've seen improvement a pot won't be the answer it's practice and trying new methods, this hobby is all about practice. There's many learning curves here and you're starting to go around a few just by trying.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Stick with the pots for now. It takes a steady hand and lots of repitition. Take your time pouring as well. don't try to fill the mold too quickly. This will lead to an overfill.

After a while you will know just when to stop the pour so that the mold is filled to the right amount and you have very little trimming to do.

www.novalures.com

Been trying for two days now and I am getting better.I have a pot I should just fire it up and try like you say.Dont want to get to much plastic going at one time though. Another thing I am getting is dimples on the side of the bait mostly toward the top. Any suggestions on that? Or maybe I am just to a*** about it. The aluminium ones are better but not there yet. Thanks for all the responces. Frank

You might not be allowing all the bubbles to release before pouring, I think thats what s causing your dimple problem .

I do not give up so easy and I will never give up on hand pouring. The pot is there and it has a pour spout that does not move around like my hand does. As for the dimples how do you get the air out of the plastic. At times it seems worse than others. It seems to me that it is not so much an over pour but a miss on my aim when moving around from spot to spot. Thanks for all the support on this Guys. Frank

Frank - I pour using a 250ml scientific beaker slipped into a beer cozy... pretty much same as a Pyrex measuring cup. I find I need to firmly support my pouring hand at the wrist to get a good pour in either a 1-piece or 2-piece mold. If I don't support the pouring hand my stream of plastic dribbles all over the mold.

The last time I poured I rested the cup on the bench and tipped the cup it was better but side to side movement was a bit awkward. I will keep trying . Were did you get the beaker from? And the cozy is a great idea. Thank You

Edited by Frank

You can use a pyrex 100 ml beaker to pour from. Much better control and smaller flow spout. You can get those at a science supply/chemical supply place. If you know a compounding pharmacist, he can order you some of them. They aren't very expensive. That's what I used at first with success.

Thanks for the info If I cant find one I will hit you up. And more control sound good to me. Frank