toadfrog

Centrifugal Molding

Has anyone tried centrifugal molding for plastics. I know injection is the big thing. But I was just curious. Any thoughts.

That would be pretty cool if something like tht could be done.

the only draw back I can think of is the plastic would cool to fast and the plastic is too light, I dont know, would be interesting to see if it could be done though, you would have to use rubber molds as alum molds built for one of those machines in a curve would be quite expensive. just to keep the machine balanced. the molds would have to run solely on a 4th axis.

Delw

That would be pretty cool if something like tht could be done.

the only draw back I can think of is the plastic would cool to fast and the plastic is too light, I dont know, would be interesting to see if it could be done though, you would have to use rubber molds as alum molds built for one of those machines in a curve would be quite expensive. just to keep the machine balanced. the molds would have to run solely on a 4th axis.

Delw

What kind of ran through my mind was use a cnc to cut the pattern into the disc. However the cooling factor might very well be a problem. Food for thought. Get back on this.

I have spin cast some polyurethane with mico balloons and there is a seperation problem, but pouring without the balloons it seems to pour fine. To pour the soft plastic a spincast mold could be made out or RTV to accomodate the plastic models. I have never tried this, so I am sure there are problems to overcome this like everything else. The silicone doesn't cool or suck the heat out like aluminum does.

I have spin cast some polyurethane with mico balloons and there is a seperation problem, but pouring without the balloons it seems to pour fine. To pour the soft plastic a spincast mold could be made out or RTV to accomodate the plastic models. I have never tried this, so I am sure there are problems to overcome this like everything else. The silicone doesn't cool or suck the heat out like aluminum does.

Check this out in the want ads:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/18813-looking-for-soft-bait-company-to-make-my-lures/

These types of plastic molds are called pie molds. They are not spin cast molds, but are injected. These types of molds are used with pre-rigged hooks, built in rattles, mylar and other reflective strips. It's also a way for a person to up production without the big expense of a large production mold. These run about half the cost of a large production mold to produce. But, of course it takes more time to make them. This type of machine will probably be our next purchase, but of course this is years in the future. I've heard through the grapevine, that the Z company uses a lot of molds like this, which would make sense considering how much salt is in their plastic.