Mo qwack

Why No Crappie Jig Molds

A 13 incher would be great! I make my own molds out of clear cast and they work pretty good but a two piece would be awesome! You see all the cool things you can pour for bass but us panfishers are just out of luck I reckon. I wonder what it takes for us to get rid of the minner under a bobber idea that so many people have about crappie fisherman. I will say I have as much if not more tackle for crappie than most bass folks. But then again I go to extremes lol

im right there with ya. my grandfather and i only did some river fishing about 5 yers ago. my grandpas friends took him fishing for crappie and then he took me. Now were crappie crazy, ive been looking for the molds too. I guess well have to do it the hard way and mold our own. Here in a few days wer heading to alabama

Edited by lowbudget fishing

Are you talking for the jig heads??? or the plastic bait's??? or both??? I ask because if you go over to

www.crappie.com in the Jigmaking/jig tying section you'll see all kinds of different jig heads for crappie. Now some of them are altered but they'yre different.

The plastics section has where guys are getting aluminum molds made for some cool looking baits.

Fatman

Yea I second crappie.com. This site is by far the bait making hot spot but crappie.com has some real crappie nuts! Such as myself lol I'm mo qwack over there as well. I have a few pics on the soft plastic side of some jigs I made. I would love to post pics here but can't figure out how to. I've tried photo bucket ect but no luck

I wonder why there are hundrets of bass bait molds but I only found a couple of crappie ones. I would think the crappie market is out there but I might be wrong. If anyone knows of some crappie molds ( other than curly tails) out there please share thanks

Try jacobs baits .com He has a few.

I wonder why there are hundrets of bass bait molds but I only found a couple of crappie ones. I would think the crappie market is out there but I might be wrong. If anyone knows of some crappie molds ( other than curly tails) out there please share thanks

mo the crappie industry is bigger than you think it is a multimillion dollar business. Every year the reason why there are hundreds of bass molds is simple because you have more people fishing for bass or a keen interest in the industry, pointing at bass. If most of the crappie fishermen and hobbyists it make plastic baits demanded more in the of crappie be soft plastic molds. They would definitely switch over I have over 50 molds for soft plastic baits for crappie and we are still collecting I do have a lot of custom work done for me I think if most people would demand more molds for crappie fishing that there would be more interests and a few of the mold makers are switching over more and more as you probably know crappie.com is one of the largest fresh water fishery sites on the Internet and it is very popular so that she gave you an indication on how many people are interested where I live in the state of Oregon in the little town of Richland on the snake River. It is noted for crappie fishing probably one of the Northwest best spots to fish for them. It brings in thousands of dollars every year to the local economy . So, my friends , this is going on all across the US every year I'm assuming did crappie fishing is probably number one for freshwater fish. I believe that it would rank over bass fishing any time.

My guess would be there isn't much money in it on a commercial level. Small bait molds typically make 6-10 baits with one injection, use a very small amount of plastic, and sell for a very reasonable price. So the mold makers don't make much money selling plastic, they sell one or two molds and a gallon of plastic and an amateur crappie fisherman (who's not selling his stuff) is pretty well set for life. The guys who pour for a living can make a huge number of lures in no time, but have to sell them for minimal prices...so why not make higher ticket plastics.

My guess would be there isn't much money in it on a commercial level. Small bait molds typically make 6-10 baits with one injection, use a very small amount of plastic, and sell for a very reasonable price. So the mold makers don't make much money selling plastic, they sell one or two molds and a gallon of plastic and an amateur crappie fisherman (who's not selling his stuff) is pretty well set for life. The guys who pour for a living can make a huge number of lures in no time, but have to sell them for minimal prices...so why not make higher ticket plastics.

It really doesnt have anything to do with the price and what mold makers will make off of plastic and molds.. Most crappie guys traditionally havnt made there own baits as far as a hobby is concerned. the commercial bait sellers have molds but there many cavities, and most are doing it with hand injection. they can shoot around a 100 baits in one shot hand injecting. Also due to the size the baits are sold cheap enough that you dont need to spend a few hundred bucks in molds, as that will buy a heck of alot of crappie lures.

Bass lures are expensive compared to crappie baits. not to mention a guy with a quart of plastic and make a heck of alot of crappie baits.

a crappie mold will generally run about the same price if not higher than a bass mold due to how fast you can run your machine, the smaller the cutting tool the slower the feed rate meaning more time equalling more cost.

the other thing is Crappie guys arent near as picky or anal as bass guys on colors and detail and because of that they dont mind spending a few bucks for generic lures off the shelf.

to get a good detailed crappie bait your running endmills less than .046 in dia. most common size is around .02-.025 dia. in a bass bait your typically running 1/8" diameter. between the 2 in feed rates is about 5-10 times as fast depending on the application, with the bigger endmill. I am doing one right now that is running a .015 diameter endmill its a grub kinda for perch and crappie that is about 1/2" long and 3/32 wide at its widest point, it has 30 cavities in it and its cost 1.75 times more than a 22 cavity 5 1/4" stick bait and the mold itself is about as big as a 7 cavity stick bait.

I know I and another mold guy that have been making crappie baits in the early 2000's and they were injected baits. There not in big demand like bass baits, I get more demand of crappie baits if I can find someone to shoot them for the guys, As for the most part they just dont want to mess with making there own baits.

Delw