FishingBuds

Mudhole Epoxy Bubble Buster

Have you seen this yet and anyone try it yet?

Specially formulated for rod builders to release and help remove the bubbles that occur when applying 2-part epoxy finish to your rods.

works by releasing the surface tension of the 2-part epoxy, allowing the encapsulated bubbles to rise and burst. They say it leaves no residue, I will like to try this.

here's a vid of it

I did see that the other day...I would have ordered it a few years ago, but don't really need it any longer, as I finally learned to mix epoxy bubble free, and I mostly use it as a seal coat, but seldom for a top coat.

What is the best way to mix epoxy without getting bubles ?

What is the best way to mix epoxy without getting bubles ?

By far the easiest way is to invite David Sullivan to your house and let him do it :D, but if he is fishing Mexico and can't be reached, here's how to do it with most epoxies you'll use for coating. NOTE: Hotter epoxies which begin center-curing when puddled, such as most fast cures, are best mixed on a level surface. Devcon 2-ton, Bob Smith (bsi, inc.) Finish Cure, Envirotex Lite, and rod finishes, such as Flex Coat, Pacific Bay, and other finish-types all respond well to this method.

Mix at a room temperature of right at 72 degrees for consistant results. I use the concave surface of an aerosol can bottom, which I place in a widemouth jar for stability, as my mixing container. Wipe it with a bit of rubbing alcohol to clean it. Because I use my cans for months at a time, I actually polish mine with some fine sandpaper first; it sure doesn't hurt. For my mixer, I fashion a piece of stainless wire into a small circle, thickening the top third of it with some loose wraps in order to make a nice gripping surface for my fingers. Having the wire formed in a circle is like having a wisk or a squeegee that conforms to a portion of the container bottom, leaving no epoxy unmixed. Let me say here that if you're only mixing 4 drops this method may not work.

After measuring the two components precisely, ease your mixing tool along the bottom into the puddle slowly (at first) and begin to stir, while maintaining bottom contact with your wire until you finish stirring. As you stir, you'll naturally begin spreading it out, but doing so from the bottom up, because you're not lifting the wire from the bottom and enfolding air in the process, won't introduce a bunch of bubbles. As you do this, you can stir faster and faster. When I mix E-tex, I literally whip it very quickly (per instructions) maintaining contact always until your epoxy is thoroughly mixed. The more you do this, the better you'll get. HINT: Use a straw to "breathe out" any bubbles you may have created. If the moon phase is correct, etc, there may actually be no bubbles at all. I normally get none or very close to that as David S.(captsully18) has witnessed!

Big Clean-up Hint: As soon as I'm finished and ready to clean, I pour some rubbing, (isopropyl), alcohol into my can bottom. As I scrape out any remains with a rounded circuit board lure lip, the scraped epoxy will stick to itself and accumulate on the lip, which can then be wiped off with an alcohol soaked paper towel. Use a paper towel and some more alcohol to clean any remaining epoxy residue from the can bottom.

All this takes much longer to describe than actually do, and with a bit of practice you'll find that little cups and tongue depressors were not nearly as effective, and, much more expensive and wasteful.

Edited by Lure--Prof

Sorry to chime in so late, but just flew in from Mexico and my arms were so tired that I had to rest for a bit. Dino, aka "Lure Prof" is without a doubt the master when it comes to mixing epoxy. I have watched him several times and have never seen a bubble in the final product. He is right about getting better the more you do this. I can now mix epoxy bubble free faster than I used to mix and then try to remove bubbles.

He da man.

David

Sorry to chime in so late, but just flew in from Mexico and my arms were so tired that I had to rest for a bit. Dino, aka "Lure Prof" is without a doubt the master when it comes to mixing epoxy. I have watched him several times and have never seen a bubble in the final product. He is right about getting better the more you do this. I can now mix epoxy bubble free faster than I used to mix and then try to remove bubbles.

He da man.

David

No, you da man! Thanks David, my Dad said, "Everybody is good for something, you just have to find out what it is". Mixing epoxy may be my thing, unfortunately...oh well, it beats a blank!

Dean