GT hunter

Giant Streamers

Hi guys,

I just started fishing the driftless area of SW Wisconsin and I like to hunt for giant brown trout. I've noticed that when I made the jump from 3inch to four inch streamers, I got more hits and bigger fish. So, I am taking a leap to 7 to 9 inch streamers or bigger. My question is:should I investigate tube flies or should I continue in the direction I am going now with jointed streamers? Either way, I need a hook in the back and preferably a short shank. I am also starting to tinker with articulated streamers. Thanks all!!

GT,

I have done a bit of work in large streamers, I made one on a 2/0 hook. I also now have 60* flipping jig hooks that I tie on. This gives me a very strong hook to get into very this stuff. Granted i mostly chase bass, you could snell a few hooks and have maybe 3-4 joints. This will make the fly posibly more prone to braking off. I believe that you could also tie in a large main hook, have a long tail, and a trailer hook snelled on 20-30# test that will be with in the tail. Maybe even making a small balsa jointed plug would work. The only real advise I could give you is test, test and test some more. Your first idea may not work, but you surely will find that what you thought to be a flaw, will actually be a major sucess.

Thanks,

George