carolinamike

Production Mold

Well we're back from Zorn. We drove down Sunday and back on Monday. 7 hours at 58 mph, top speed. Everything went well and the machine is in the building. I'll post some pictures later. I was talking with redg8r and we kind of got to discussing production molds and the cost. He seemed to think that a lot of people have a hard time justifying the cost because they've never seen a big production mold. So I talked to Ray and Regina at Zorn and they're OK with me posting a picture of one of my personal molds. We'll put the picture up the best that we can, not really sure how this works. So if the size comes up not right, somebody help us out. By the way, this is a standard 5" finesse worm. It's an 80 cavity mold, as you can see the channel runs up the middle and the baits branch off of each side. The middle channel is where the runner comes from. You can tell the size of the mold by the 55 gallon drum lids.

production mold 4.jpg

production mold 4.jpg

production mold 4.jpg

production mold 4.jpg

production mold 4.jpg

production mold 4.jpg

production mold 4.jpg

production mold 4.jpg

post-16538-127372340291_thumb.jpg

Well we're back from Zorn. We drove down Sunday and back on Monday. 7 hours at 58 mph, top speed. Everything went well and the machine is in the building. I'll post some pictures later. I was talking with redg8r and we kind of got to discussing production molds and the cost. He seemed to think that a lot of people have a hard time justifying the cost because they've never seen a big production mold. So I talked to Ray and Regina at Zorn and they're OK with me posting a picture of one of my personal molds. We'll put the picture up the best that we can, not really sure how this works. So if the size comes up not right, somebody help us out. By the way, this is a standard 5" finesse worm. It's an 80 cavity mold, as you can see the channel runs up the middle and the baits branch off of each side. The middle channel is where the runner comes from. You can tell the size of the mold by the 55 gallon drum lids.

It's truly fascinating to see what a trained professional can produce. In my dreams, I make molds just like that one!

I only wish that you need to get another one or two to keep up with demand.

Most people have a hard time Justifying the cost because its more of a hobby to them. even the guys selling baits its still kinda a hobby, so trying to spit out 8-30k for a mold doesnt seem right.. the guys that do nothing but baits FULL time dont even bat and eyelash at the price, most dont even ask how much they only say build it ,ship it, and send me a bill when its done.

This is the reason we keep on hearing how Nasa spend $600 on hammers, number one people just dont understand manufacturering and what it actually takes to make something. Not to mention the price of the machine tooling software material and all support equipment.

they look at mexico,india, china and every other third worls country and see the junk at the low prices and automatically think hey if they make it for a buck you should be able to make it for a buck also. the other reason is teh person buying the products dont have to pay for the machines it takes to make the product, they just see the end result

Bob, just think about it 12 hours to do a single cavity mold, even with the big fast CNC machines, the programming time in itself can really be drawn out. That's the reason that you guys ordering from Bear, Bob and Del wonder why it takes so long. Keep these things in mind.

Del, the price of 8-30K for a production mold is a little blown out of proportion. Most of your plain solid color molds, straight solid with flake no laminate, start at around 4K. A real complicated mold might run you 10K or a little over. But on the norm, 4-10K is about the price range for a production mold. And you're right for those that this is just a hobby and they're making their own fishing baits, this is definitely not the route to go. But there are those out there that are like me and my wife and had a really hard time trying to keep up with hand pours. This post is mainly so people can understand why these things are so expensive. You yourself I know have no problem understanding this. But as far as the expense goes, we paid for 3 of our molds the first six months of business, and we've found this to be true with most of our customers. And it's mainly because they can spend all of their time marketing and promoting their products. If you're just making your own fishing stuff, you can't beat hand pour and hand injected. But if you're making stuff and selling it and it's starting to get overwhelming, relief is expensive but not that expensive.

Dave, probably 8-10 weeks, this is a pretty complicated mold.