workhurts

Guide Wrap Varnish Vs Epoxy

Anyone who has used both varnish and epoxy to coat guide wrapping that can give me a fair assessment pro and cons of each. So far I have used Gudebrod high build rod varnish and have been happy with the results. I see most people use 1 or 2 part urethane epoxy and wonder if I'm missing the boat?

Thanks for the response Bob. The varnish I'm using is advertised as varnish. Gudebrod rod varnish. Janns has rod dancer rod varnish that appears to be the same. I've been turned off by the idea of epoxy due to it's relative complexity. With rod varnish I can get a heavy build in two coats, water cleanup and it's like $1/oz. I tend to wonder if the epoxy is better, or just has a higher markup and therefore pushed by sellers more, hence my desire to learn from those who have experience with both products.

Thanks for the response Bob. The varnish I'm using is advertised as varnish. Gudebrod rod varnish. Janns has rod dancer rod varnish that appears to be the same. I've been turned off by the idea of epoxy due to it's relative complexity. With rod varnish I can get a heavy build in two coats, water cleanup and it's like $1/oz. I tend to wonder if the epoxy is better, or just has a higher markup and therefore pushed by sellers more, hence my desire to learn from those who have experience with both products.

I've used both on my rod builds but I prefer epoxy. It's really a matter of personal preference. I would advise you to try some epoxy, both high build and light build and see what you like best. You may end up sticking with varnish. Have you tried permagloss?

I don't find epoxy complex to use, but there are rules you must follow. The important thing with epoxy is to mix it and apply it and then leave it alone. I use Diamond II from Bullard International and it's some great stuff. It's considered a medium build epoxy and it's super clear and levels very well.

jeremy