kevtherev

Pop Vs Aluminum

I have quite a few POP molds and am considering getting some aluminum molds made. For those who have used both, what are the pros and cons of each? Please go into as much detail as possible. Thanks!

kevtherev

I havent been doing this long but i can tell you that the aluminum molds are the best. They make a perfect bait almost every time and they dry quicker. Thats just me though. I wasted so much money making molds in the beginning and now i am replacing them with aluminum molds instead. Also the aluminum molds will last forever as long as you take care of them. If you buy one and are not satisfied, trust me you can put it on here for sale and it will be gone before you know it and at most you might lose $20.

It all depends on the bait.

RTV POP Fiberglass and other Molds along with alum all have there place.

Alum. molds will cure faster and give a perfect bait due to most of the time its made on a perfect machine using a cad system so every cavity is the same not to mention symetrical.

the DOWN side to alum molds is one the cost and 2 you cant pour very fine grooves and tails like you can in a pop mold as the plastic hardens up faster in alum molds.

RTV you can pour some very small features as well with other NON-Metal Molds, there really is NO best unless you specify a particular bait your trying to produce.

for example take a 1 pcs open pour mold that has alot of fins on it. the fins are approx .025 wide and theres like 20 of them ( canyon plastics dropdshot bait with that zipper style head) its impossible ( yes I said it) to pour in a alum mold open face mold even if you heat the mold to 250 degrees on a griddle, you will never get a good pour. with a RTV mold and a pop or fiberglass mold you can pour it pretty easily just by filling the body and letting the grooves fill up RTV is almost a cake walk due to rtv being ver slick and smooth.

injecting a 2pcs one with a hand injector isnt too bad but the molds needs some special features put in it so it works and fills the cavities, the problem is the time it takes to cut those little features and the little grooves as well.

Delw

It all depends on the bait.

RTV POP Fiberglass and other Molds along with alum all have there place.

Alum. molds will cure faster and give a perfect bait due to most of the time its made on a perfect machine using a cad system so every cavity is the same not to mention symetrical.

the DOWN side to alum molds is one the cost and 2 you cant pour very fine grooves and tails like you can in a pop mold as the plastic hardens up faster in alum molds.

RTV you can pour some very small features as well with other NON-Metal Molds, there really is NO best unless you specify a particular bait your trying to produce.

for example take a 1 pcs open pour mold that has alot of fins on it. the fins are approx .025 wide and theres like 20 of them ( canyon plastics dropdshot bait with that zipper style head) its impossible ( yes I said it) to pour in a alum mold open face mold even if you heat the mold to 250 degrees on a griddle, you will never get a good pour. with a RTV mold and a pop or fiberglass mold you can pour it pretty easily just by filling the body and letting the grooves fill up RTV is almost a cake walk due to rtv being ver slick and smooth.

injecting a 2pcs one with a hand injector isnt too bad but the molds needs some special features put in it so it works and fills the cavities, the problem is the time it takes to cut those little features and the little grooves as well.

Delw

If you do POP right, then youll get a good finish on your baits.

I like the aluminum injectors - easy to use and almost perfect baits every time - just dont use too many pounds of pressure and youll eliminate flash on your baits. The thing i dont like about aluminum, is that if your only working with one mold, it takes more and more time each time you inject for the bait to solidify. If you get it out too soon, the inside of the plastic is still hot and gooey and the bait doesnt form right.

2 piece injectors are nice, but if a small drop of plastic of gravel gets imbetween the mold, you can bet that the next injection is going to be fail because of excessive flash.