tux

Help With Vise

Fly tying vise models usually have a primary supplier and one or more secondary knock off vendors. The secondary and maybe the tertiary knock offs usually come from India or the Orient. In my experience with several vises, the knock offs are usually priced cheaper and made cheaper.

If you look closely at the Google list from Bob, you'll probably find the original and the knock off. You can look around and buy something close and it'll probably work for you. Unless you email him and ask, it will be hard to tell exactly which vise the tier is using in each video.

Suggest you go to a local fly shop, show the owner the video and ask him to show you the closest vises he has and ask him to tie the jig. He may have clips, holders and accessories that come with the vise like a pedestal instead of a clamp in both videos, you would find useful. Also Jared was awkward whip finishing and they have tools some tiers find useful.

About the only other advise I'd suggest is hook size. If you plan on tying BIG hooks, make sure the vise you buy will handle the size you plan on tying. Over sized hooks wear out vises.

Good luck.

John

Tux,

The vise is an old Thompson Model A. They are no longer made and every knock off I have ever seen is a piece of crap, the jaws hold for a few months and then crap out. I have two of them and as old as they are they're great. You can find them on THAT auction site but you might not like the price (the vise ain't bad but what some of them want for shipping will give you heart failure).

Besides Fly tying I also tie crappie jigs and bucktails up to 1/4 oz. I've been tying on a Dyna-King Kingfisher for the last 3 years, my Thompsons are my travel vise's.

If you have any other questions let me know

Fatman

Tux,

The vise is an old Thompson Model A. They are no longer made and every knock off I have ever seen is a piece of crap, the jaws hold for a few months and then crap out. I have two of them and as old as they are they're great. You can find them on THAT auction site but you might not like the price (the vise ain't bad but what some of them want for shipping will give you heart failure).

Besides Fly tying I also tie crappie jigs and bucktails up to 1/4 oz. I've been tying on a Dyna-King Kingfisher for the last 3 years, my Thompsons are my travel vise's.

If you have any other questions let me know

Fatman

Thanks everyone this has been very helpful!

I suggest the Bass Pro Shops White River Crown Spring vise $39.99- this is a great vise for the money. Will hold hooks up to 4/0 without a problem. Holding power is superior the the Thompson vise pictured in the video.

PnF

I want to start tying my own bass jigs. I would appreciate it if someone could provide the make/model of the vise used in the video below. It seems to be used in a lot of the instructional videos on the net. Thanks.

http://www.bassedge....+own+custom+jig