guertin83

Colorants

Are there any colorants that are available for purchasing at local shops or stores?

wood stains are AWSUM

oil base paints ie oil paints

wax colors from hobby stores, the liquid wax colors work best but the chunks of dye also work just need to be mixed very well.

pretty much anything that Doesnt contain water works.

Crayons in a Pinch

Delw

That is interesting Del. Thanks!

when I first started pouring I used candle dyes

on the wood stains we were buying a few colors from one company ( our root beer) and it had a hazzard lable on it, when I opened it it smelled familiar. April quite selling it due to it would need a hazzord fee via UPS. anyway I was in the guys shop next door re making his wood router machine and I smelt that smell again. asked him what it was and he said wood stain sure enough it was and worked just the same.

it only takes 1-2 drops per cup too so you dont need alot, and there are a ton of colors that are not offered in coventional colorants.

The rest I picked up by customers and on this forum so I tossed them in as well. The oil paint one was pretty cool but I have found the colors are more opaque.

I found a kick azz oil paint set at walmart for 7$. 14 tubes of paint has almost 2 of every color in dark/light shades. My fist attempt at a watermelon color using the paints was dead on. I poured some jig trailers and was able to match the color of the jig probably 98% perfectly. The stuff works wonders and is less than $0.60 a tube.

I found a kick azz oil paint set at walmart for 7$. 14 tubes of paint has almost 2 of every color in dark/light shades. My fist attempt at a watermelon color using the paints was dead on. I poured some jig trailers and was able to match the color of the jig probably 98% perfectly. The stuff works wonders and is less than $0.60 a tube.

I am going to check that out! Thanks for posting.