bassmancup

Bear's Injector

I was wondering if anyone bought Bear's Injection Machine yet and what you thought of it. It really looks good on-line, however, I have a variety of hand injection molds and wanted to get some first hand advice from anyone out there using one before spending that much money and getting rid of all my other molds. Thanks Guys!

Why would you get rid of all your other molds?

I was wondering if anyone bought Bear's Injection Machine yet and what you thought of it. It really looks good on-line, however, I have a variety of hand injection molds and wanted to get some first hand advice from anyone out there using one before spending that much money and getting rid of all my other molds. Thanks Guys!

I can only hope that my business takes off enough to justify an expense like that. It is really a cool piece of equipment.

I'd give it some long lenghty thought I have played around with plastic had a few grins and giggles . I've crunched the numbers a dozen ways but I don't think (not that it matters) you can make enough to sustain a family on the hobby type of equipment available to most folks . Unless you have a means of support that will allow you to invest all your time . Time and the use of it is the enemy most battled and hardest manage.

I'd give it some long lenghty thought I have played around with plastic had a few grins and giggles . I've crunched the numbers a dozen ways but I don't think (not that it matters) you can make enough to sustain a family on the hobby type of equipment available to most folks . Unless you have a means of support that will allow you to invest all your time . Time and the use of it is the enemy most battled and hardest manage.

IMO I think it would be fair to state that bears injection machine is above the hobby level :rolleyes:

IMO I think it would be fair to state that bears injection machine is above the hobby level :rolleyes:

Pretty sure that is what toadfrog meant... Meaning that other methods are at the hobby level.

Plenty of hand pour companies out there to prove that is not necessarly true. 3:16 lure company is a great example. Until the recent years (and the addition of hard baits), they were all hand pour and VERY successful. Still are. If you find your niche, you can be successful even at the "hobby" level. That is where all these other companies started.

Anybody willing to share info on the injection machine or even have one? I also considered one until I was told they were made for just his molds.

Jim

I do not see why most of the 5/8 port hand injection molds would not work, and many of the others for smaller ports could be modified to work fairly economically. I only have one (well 2 the same) Bear's mold and it seems like a pretty common 5/8 port design.

My only concern would be clearance to fit the mold under the machine and clamp it closed. That could be dealt with too.

it has to do with the size of the mold blank Bob. i believe the largest blank Bear's molds are based on is 3". quite a few other molds will work just fine.

the machine is based on Bear's current molds, and thats great, i would never expect him and Chris to design it based on their competition's molds, have the molds reconfigured to work with the machine. the heat exchangers are also 1.2lb each, so larger 20 - 30 cav molds may not be possible.

I was thinking I would have to get rid of all my molds because I know that it was designed for Bear's molds. I have molds from Del, Bear, Bass Tackle and they are all good molds that I use regularly so I don't want to get rid of them. Each Mold maker seems to have his/her specialty that I reallly like. My company is certainly only on the hobby level. I hand inject and hand pour. I just think that my buddy and I would spend much less time in the shop with one of these machines. I was also thinking that I could modify the plates that clamp the mold together so I could still use my other molds. I was just wondering if anyone else had done this or if anyone had actually bought one yet and could give me some first hand feedback. Thanks Guys!

I was thinking I would have to get rid of all my molds because I know that it was designed for Bear's molds. I have molds from Del, Bear, Bass Tackle and they are all good molds that I use regularly so I don't want to get rid of them. Each Mold maker seems to have his/her specialty that I reallly like. My company is certainly only on the hobby level. I hand inject and hand pour. I just think that my buddy and I would spend much less time in the shop with one of these machines. I was also thinking that I could modify the plates that clamp the mold together so I could still use my other molds. I was just wondering if anyone else had done this or if anyone had actually bought one yet and could give me some first hand feedback. Thanks Guys!

in order to save time on making baits with this machine you do need a lot of molds and someone that can demold fast and have them ready to shoot again. if you only have a few molds of each bait you really are better off hand injecting them as you're not going to save any time.

I've heard there is another injection machine being developed that is universal, adapting to any mold. It supposedly shoots plastic with salt as well. That's all the detail I have at this point, other than they should be available mid this year.

Tight lines!

Jason

This post is outragous. Not only are you copying another companies tech, you are advertising your own products here on TU.

Dave

I stand corrected Dave!!!!! Just read on CCM forum that he is working on a machine.

I agree that this type of pre-advertising should not be allowed.

I disagree and doubt highly he is copying any technology that has not already been copied. The injection machine has been around in many forms for many years prior to Bear's model. Del has spoken of small scale ones prior to Bear even being in business. All the technology has been available for years.

I am all for an injection machine that works on all molds but am against hijacking this post discussing Bear's machine.

Jim

CCM is not building an injection machine.

We are working with and providing information about our molds and how they are used to someone who is.

I hope / anticipate selling it, but in no way have any commitment or agreement on exclusivity. I would expect as a business they would allow others to sell it??? We are working with them, helping where we can by providing information, providing molds, feedback, etc.

It definitely isn't hijacking any technology.

Was me posting this appropriate? I think it was. You can make your own decision and I won't be offended either way.

Jason

I forgot to say why I think it was an appropriate post and not hijacking.

I think it was appropriate because it will work universally, not just on one companies molds. This post was slanting towards having to sell all your molds, and I thought it was relevant information to the original post that other options will be available.

jb

there may have been the technology for years; but the demand to make one avaiable and cheap enough just didnt go hand in hand. just beacuse anyone can pour/inject baits doenst mean they are creative enough to make a business of it. lots of people doing this but not alot of people could afford to run an injection machine. i could use one and probably mcut my time down on making laminates. but by last years sales i am not going to invest 4000.00 right now to make roughly 27-2800.00 in laminate baits i can do by hand injection. if they money appeared in my checking account tomorrow i probably would still buy molds before the injection machine!! just my opinion!!

... if they money appeared in my checking account tomorrow i probably would still buy molds before the injection machine!! just my opinion!!

I agree 100%.Solid color baits outsell laminated soft-baits. Sure they look great,everyone wants them but not many want to pay for extra for them. That said,I'll invest an additional 4K this year in custom CNC injection molds vs. a nice machine w/out the molds.

I do not own any Caney Creek molds but do not find his post offensive . News about another ,small injection machine is most welcome.After all,Tackle Underground is all about information related to lure manufacturing. Now if he wants to advertise the machine for sale,then I would hope he is a TU sponsor.

Edited by smallmouthaholic

CCM is not building an injection machine.

the post on your site sure makes it seem that you have someone making one for you, and that it is the problem, this post is relating to Bear's injection machine, not yours.

I will be looking at getting Bear's machine this spring i believe, but not to try and increase production. currently i am using a few presto's to heat plastic and to do a large run i need to cook a large quantity of plastic. i also run another business that requires me to shut down at a moments notice as i could take a few hours to get back to making baits again, causing me to reheat. it makes more sense to me to get a machine that only heats what you need, then when i am called away i can shut down and restart and only reheat whats in the heat exchangers

Edited by SHK

from what i have seen the tray that the molds sit on is only deep enough to get the depth of bears side injection molds into. if we had one to tinker with i am sure someone could make it so that it accepted other side type molds just as easily. but i defer back to my previous post as it being useful for me at the present time!!

I disagree and doubt highly he is copying any technology that has not already been copied. The injection machine has been around in many forms for many years prior to Bear's model. Del has spoken of small scale ones prior to Bear even being in business. All the technology has been available for years.

I am all for an injection machine that works on all molds but am against hijacking this post discussing Bear's machine.

Jim

there may have been the technology for years; but the demand to make one avaiable and cheap enough just didnt go hand in hand. just beacuse anyone can pour/inject baits doenst mean they are creative enough to make a business of it. lots of people doing this but not alot of people could afford to run an injection machine. i could use one and probably mcut my time down on making laminates. but by last years sales i am not going to invest 4000.00 right now to make roughly 27-2800.00 in laminate baits i can do by hand injection. if they money appeared in my checking account tomorrow i probably would still buy molds before the injection machine!! just my opinion!!

aside from POwer worm listed

you guys forgot the most important thing to people making injection machines. Liability Insurance. its bad enough for hand injected molds and hand injectors, but you talk about a machine with pressure and hot plastic on it the whole times its on? theres not to many people that will insure you for this and the ones that do comes at a very very high price. Sure someone can get by with out insurance but once you do that and someone gets hurt your FINISHED done and finacualy(sp) ruined.

also to add to what powerworm said about affordable" affordable for who? the garage guy, the small business that just plays at night or a full time business?

if your a full time bait business then you go with a real one Like a Zorn. while the money might kick someone in the butt and we all dont like to spend money, but if your running a real bait company full time and actually making a liveing ( not adding to your income) then get a good one.

for a garage guy that has 2-4 k laying around and doesnt mind kicking 4+ plus in for a semi hobby it could be worth it. and there are guys who do that, I know guys that spend thousands and made there own and they dont sell the baits they just tinker or there own use, but they are independantly wealthy to and have extreamly good paying full time jobs.

even with a zorn machine you still have to buy molds the the spending never stops.the bottom line is what do you want to do and how fast you want to go.

I still say pouring single color stiks out of a pot is faster than injecting them, both come down to one thing, MOLDS and how many do you have?

Delw

Sure someone can get by with out insurance but once you do that and someone gets hurt your FINISHED done and finacualy(sp) ruined.

Agreed. One accident and he is getting his pants sued off. Going through the process of UL approved is to costly for a small deal. The risk must be worth teh reward.

On another note, if you watch the video, the individual running the machine does not have safety glasses on or a face shield. Lots of faith in the tubing/connections I guess. I know there isn't much pressure but accidents do happen. I'd have my arms covered as well.

Even if you have liability insurance, you can't get your skin back from 350 degree plastic burns.

Jim