bass2

Anchor Measuring Cup

Has anyone every had a anchor glass cup explode when using in micro, I did tonight, I did not set it on a cold surface, my table is wood.

I could see little flames in the micro when heating, took it out set the cup on the bench, and it exploded. Use with care when pouring with these cups.

Has anyone every had a anchor glass cup explode when using in micro, I did tonight, I did not set it on a cold surface, my table is wood.

I could see little flames in the micro when heating, took it out set the cup on the bench, and it exploded. Use with care when pouring with these cups.

Thanks for the headsup.

You may want to place your cup on a towel instead of your wood table.

You saw little flames inside the mirco?? Was the plastic on fire?? How long did you heat your plastic for and how long?

I have never had one explode...knock on wood..

I was remelting some trimmings and I could see little flames on the outside of the cup as it was heating, I only had it set for 30 sec. took it out set it on the table and it exploded, I am not sure what happened, I am going to be looking for some new cups to heat in. I could see if it was cold outside and the temp difference, it was in the 60s when I was pouring.

You saw little flames inside the mirco?? Was the plastic on fire?? How long did you heat your plastic for and how long?

I have never had one explode...knock on wood..

I am fairly sure that the glitter is your problem. Their was a lengthy thread on the subject not so long ago. I did a lot of web reading at the time, of some very technical stuff. http://www.tackleund...__1#entry154512 It is all about big words like electromagnetic induction, ionization, charged particles etc. The flames that you see are not flames, but plasma and the temperature is around 2000 degrees or so (memory). So we are back to the locally expanding glass problem, only much worse.

Some glitters micro just fine, some work in one oven and not the next. I think each microwave oven is slightly different in the distribution of electromagnetic waves, even within the same make and model. This is the only weak explanation that I have, for some people say that they have no problem with glitters, others do and then the heated discussions begin. In your case, no more glitter.

Dave

I think you've got it there Dave. Glitter seems to be the culprit. I think I saw holigram glitter in the pic. That one can be bad on reheats.

Also, set your cup on something other than your table. I use a piece of silicone cutting board(used to use old rtv molds).

I've only had a couple of cups go on me and they were both my fault(learning curve).

www.novalures.com

What do you use to stir it with? I know about the flames, in the plastic and since I changed back to my original supplier I have had no problem. The flames you saw, were they next to the cup at the bottom? The reason I ask is when I saw these in mine I stopped. It was making little chips in the bottom of my cup, and with chips on a tempered piece of glass it becomes unstable. Actually it is already unstable and anything will make it crack. The reason I asked what you stir with is if it were say a heavy sorta object like a butter knife that will contribute some to the cracking. When you cut glass you score it first then tap it with an oblect to crack it, same here but the score was the spark. Being tempered it wont just crack it will break in many pieces just like your windows in your car (not your windshield)or a table top. If you let it spark in the micro I think you are just asking for it. And also the sparks make burned plastic chunks that you wont see until you pour. Just my thoughts. Frank

So far, I've been using a regular Pyrex 8oz cup, and stirring with a thin screw driver, and haven't had any problems.

The microwave I use is small, so I'm wondering if it might also have to do with the power of the microwave.

Mine will heat 4oz of Calhoun's plastic to 325 in 2 1/2 minutes, in 1 minutes cycles, with stirring after 2 minutes.