Crymdawg

Drop Shot Fly

I've been dressing treble hoos for years now and recently started trying to make a "Drop Shot Fly" . This is a lure that is used under water there is a weight at terminal end of line and the fly is tied above the weight and suspended infront of fish. I'm using a long shank fly type hook and after putting a few wraps on the shaft for backing purposes I start putting on different colors of buck tail. The problem that I'm getting is that if I pull too tightly I get the entire assembly of hair to spin around on the shaft. Even when I'm done and have put the wrap on the head, I still get this problem. I'm using sewing thread as it is stronger and less expensive that regulay fly tying thread, which I use for color enhancement. I use either head cement or Sally Hanson "Hard as Nails" for glue.

Any body have suggestions to reduce this spinning ??

Thanks

Ray in PA

I've been dressing treble hoos for years now and recently started trying to make a "Drop Shot Fly" . This is a lure that is used under water there is a weight at terminal end of line and the fly is tied above the weight and suspended infront of fish. I'm using a long shank fly type hook and after putting a few wraps on the shaft for backing purposes I start putting on different colors of buck tail. The problem that I'm getting is that if I pull too tightly I get the entire assembly of hair to spin around on the shaft. Even when I'm done and have put the wrap on the head, I still get this problem. I'm using sewing thread as it is stronger and less expensive that regulay fly tying thread, which I use for color enhancement. I use either head cement or Sally Hanson "Hard as Nails" for glue.

Thanks

Ray in PA

Lay a more substantial backing, for more grip. Also the hair is always going to pull around, so start it 90 degrees over, so it ends up where you want it.

Dave

Lay a more substantial backing, for more grip. Also the hair is always going to pull around, so start it 90 degrees over, so it ends up where you want it.

Dave

Dave when you say "substantial" are you meaning more that two or three layers? Can I put some head cement on these layers to try to lock them in place?

Ray

Dave when you say "substantial" are you meaning more that two or three layers? Can I put some head cement on these layers to try to lock them in place?

Ray

I was thinking one tight layer would do it. If your backing is loose enough to slip, then three layers is not going to make any difference, it will still slip. I think a bit more tension is required on the backing layer. Yes, you could use cement to fix it in place, but isn't that cheating, LOL. It is a long time since I did any tying and I cannot remember whether the sewing thread is a good idea or not, it could be exasperating your slipping problem. What I do remember is that the sewing thread is 'hairy' and had to be laid flat with CA glue to get a nice finish.

Do a few experiments. Try more tension, try the cement/glue, try priming the hook shaft with a dab of CA glue. I can't remember having a serious slipping problem. Hair will always move. After a couple of fixing loops, you have to rearrange the hair to your liking, then wind it on.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Thanks

Ray in PA

One of the advantages of using waxed fly tying thread is that it will hold a thread bed stronger than non-waxed thread like mercer cotton.

I use a cotton or cotton-polyester thread to form a bed on many of my bugs and it has pestered me coming loose at times. Over the years I've found two techniques that keep the bed from unraveling or slipping.

One is to tie with a wound thread. To do this merely wind the bobbin clock-wise 3-5 seconds - too much winding will cause cotton thread to loop unnecessarily. Too little or no winding will cause the cotton wraps to limp up and not hold the hook shank tightly.

Two is every 1/8" or so form one or two half hitch knots and pull tight. At the last knot or end, whip finish 2-3 times before cutting the cotton thread in order to hold the bed secure.

Guys that spin hair use a "soft loop" technique that also keeps the thread bed from spinning. After tying a cotton bed or thread bed, they tie in a strong thread like "A" or Kevlar. Then after preparing their hair, they loop it all around the shank and wrap it loosely 3-4 times with "A" or Kevlar just to hold it in place and then wrap tighter and tighter 4-5 times and pull the Kevlar or "A" tighter to spread the hair the way they want it.This soft loop technique keeps the body from turning. I don't spin hair much at all. If you need more help, perhaps others can help or you can Google it.

Applying super glue, head cement or Sally Hansen works but slows tying since you have to wait for them to dry.

Good luck!

John

Thanks

Ray in PA

Here is what I do, I put a small amount of super glue on the hook shank, before I start my wraps. About half way, then follow the way you build the fly. I use craft hair with deer hair and crystal flash....hey you can really get creative! The thread may be your problem it needs to be flat sided, I use 210 denier, you can really pull on it and wont break...that my be your problem with the hair spinning? Hope that helps. Here are a few of my creations!

drop shot bule gill shell cracker sized.bmp

blue back and Alewife sized.bmp

• Like 1

Here is what I do, I put a small amount of super glue on the hook shank, before I start my wraps. About half way, then follow the way you build the fly. I use craft hair with deer hair and crystal flash....hey you can really get creative! The thread may be your problem it needs to be flat sided, I use 210 denier, you can really pull on it and wont break...that my be your problem with the hair spinning? Hope that helps. Here are a few of my creations!

WOW, fisheye56, Beautuful work !! What do you use for the eyes?? I'm guessing that they are the 3D type then you epoxy over them to give them the clear and bulging look. Where do you get your "Craft hair" ? I bought a bunch from the guy in Celina TN that sells his "Float n flies" in the Bass Pro Catalog. Think his name is Steve Hedrick. I'm running low on my supply of that. How about the 210 denier thread, where do you get that from. I do have some fly tying thread and also the thread for fixing rod guides.

Thanks Ray in PA , The "Crymdawg"

WOW, fisheye56, Beautuful work !! What do you use for the eyes?? I'm guessing that they are the 3D type then you epoxy over them to give them the clear and bulging look. Where do you get your "Craft hair" ? I bought a bunch from the guy in Celina TN that sells his "Float n flies" in the Bass Pro Catalog. Think his name is Steve Hedrick. I'm running low on my supply of that. How about the 210 denier thread, where do you get that from. I do have some fly tying thread and also the thread for fixing rod guides.

Thanks Ray in PA , The "Crymdawg"

The eye's came from the folks that advertise here Ed and Lisa Staton. Good people! I use Craft hair from Celina, Hairline, K&K, Wapsi, I went on line for fly tying materials.. The craft hair must be select cut...has all three layers short middle and long...I thin the short out for my drop shot flies. I'm self taught , watching every video out there on tying...will start here soon on a stripper fly local guides are bugging me for something behind a pop-n-cork...gona do a deep clauser...or a deciever in natural colors for them will post when complete...for me it just comes I don't know how when I sit down at my fly table it gets the juices flowing! Those pan fish flies are an answer to a bed fisherman for power-shotting...who is always causing trouble when bass are guarding fry??? Mr. Blue Gill!!!!

The eye's came from the folks that advertise here Ed and Lisa Staton. Good people! I use Craft hair from Celina, Hairline, K&K, Wapsi, I went on line for fly tying materials.. The craft hair must be select cut...has all three layers short middle and long...I thin the short out for my drop shot flies. I'm self taught , watching every video out there on tying...will start here soon on a stripper fly local guides are bugging me for something behind a pop-n-cork...gona do a deep clauser...or a deciever in natural colors for them will post when complete...for me it just comes I don't know how when I sit down at my fly table it gets the juices flowing! Those pan fish flies are an answer to a bed fisherman for power-shotting...who is always causing trouble when bass are guarding fry??? Mr. Blue Gill!!!!

After you glue them onto the thread, do you use an epoxy finish to protect them and build up the eye area ??

After you glue them onto the thread, do you use an epoxy finish to protect them and build up the eye area ??

Yes,...it took me a lot of time to figure out the head, eye's staying where I wanted them and not come off, after many fish biting them! I worked with this problem off and on back last summer. Once it was figured out I was catching fish drop shotting and tying behind a pop-n-cork for strippers and Hybrids.. but it is a drop shot fly on a bass stinger hook...a high end Tiemco.

Those Flies look Great.

I wouldn't fish the Bream ( Too good Looking ). They are a very effective bait.

Have you tried Clear Cure Goo for the heads? Thick for that application .

I hate having to wait on a drying wheel. Get it like you want it - Zap it with the light -

finish it with Hansons Clear.