steve187

Mold Modifying

Well today I confirmed what I thought was probably gonna happen. My Do-It snootie jig mold needs to be modified. I need to put a barb in the mold for a baitkeeper. Can I do it with a dremel? Is it real challenging ? Do i need to take it to a machine shop. I took my curado apart to the last piece and put it all back together OK. I know that's not the same but I just offered that to compare maybe. Think I can modify the mold to include a barb ? On my budget I really don't want to take it to a shop. What say ye ?

Adding a barb is easy. You can do that on one half of the the mold. No need to have it machined.

You mean you don't have to modify both sides of the mold ? If you only do one side of the mold will it come out OK ? I know the additional amount of lead weight added isn't much but will putting it all on one side make the bait noticeably off balance ? I'm just asking, I don't know anything.

Thanks for your response.

I use a 3 corner file to make the barb. Aluminum is soft and just take short strokes with the 3 corner file. I don't think it will be off balance, but I would do both sides, thats just me.

I mold in a short length of 0.026 SS wire on the backside of the hook and once the head is poured, bend it to form a keeper. Hope this helps, Dave

Before you go to filing the mold, try using your gate cutters and putting notches in the lead shank that is on the hook. I have a mold that has that same shank and I do it all the time to hold plastics. I usually have about 5 notches and they hold as good as a barb and don't distort the bait as much as a barb.

Before you go to filing the mold, try using your gate cutters and putting notches in the lead shank that is on the hook. I have a mold that has that same shank and I do it all the time to hold plastics. I usually have about 5 notches and they hold as good as a barb and don't distort the bait as much as a barb.

Thank you. I'll give it a shot. Good idea.

Hmmm...I like that idea. Especially for small diameter baits.

Otherwise adding a barb, or even a collar ring, is super easy with a file, or a dremel if you want a larger one. Most of the stock barbed molds don't have a large enough or sharp enough barb anyway.