ScottC

Heating Jigs Problems

I was wondering if you experienced jig painters could give me some advice on a problem I am having with my jigs. I am new to painting jigs and have done ALOT of reading on here and a few other places and have tried to follow what I have read and have run into an issue. I am heating my jigs heads in a toaster oven set at 350 degrees which is actually closer to 425 according to my oven thermometer that I have put in there, for about 20-30 min. The problem I am having is that even light 1/16th ounce jigs after being heated for 30 minutes are not melting the powder paint when I dip them they are all powdery and I have to put them into the oven again to melt the paint before I dip them in the next color.

How long are you guys preheating your jigheads before you dip? What temps? Any suggestions?

I heat mine at 350F (setting and measured temp), for 20-25 minutes. Some will melt and other will have a dull, powdery finish. The cure stage, I used 325F for 20 minutes, makes them all nice and shiny and very durable. I say cure them all. ;)

Edited by FuzzyGrub

I heat mine at 350F (setting and measured temp), for 20-25 minutes. Some will melt and other will have a dull, powdery finish. The cure stage, I used 325F for 20 minutes, makes them all nice and shiny and very durable. I say cure them all. ;)

I cured them thinking that it would be no problem and that they should shine up nicely but they after 30 min at 400 they are still very dull almost fuzzy looking still, but they are nice and hard.

I cured them thinking that it would be no problem and that they should shine up nicely but they after 30 min at 400 they are still very dull almost fuzzy looking still, but they are nice and hard.

400F is too hot, but not sure if it is causing your problem. What powder paint brand and colors are you using?

Edited by FuzzyGrub

400F is too hot, but not sure if it is causing your problem. What powder paint brand and colors are you using?

it is from TJ Tackel, so far its been the white and the candy yellow. I know 400 is alittle warm to cure but why would it not be heating the jigs up enough to melt the powder on contact?

Edited by ScottC

Are you sure your thermometer is correct? I get power paint to melt in only 5 minutes of heat time in the toaster oven. Then I cure for 20 minutes at 325.

it is very possible that the termometer is off, I will have to double check it in my big oven and see what happens.

I have never been a fan of the toaster oven. I use an old cast iron electric skillet. Set the temp at 350 and load it up with jigs. I wait 5 min. after the thermostat says it's at temperature. I dip my jigs and I want the fuzzy appearance. I also look for a painted but open hook eye. If the hook eye is closed with paint I turn the temp down. The same time I am doing this I have a heat gun going on low. Once I know I have total coverage and the hook eye is still open I run it through the heat gun to smooth the paint out. There is a small window between the fuzzy stage and just starting to smooth out that is a perfect time for adding additional colors. I don't like having to worry about drips when I cure them. Some colors depending on manufacturer will run more than others. For me the Whites and blacks are the worst. The heat gun really is helpful and does not need to be fancy. I bought mine for about 8 bucks at Harbor Freight several years ago. One more tip is with smaller jigs I will heat them more than 350. I find the hemostat I grab them with will cool the tiny jigs enough that I have to pass them through the heat gun for a second or two before I dip them. I alway like to error on the cool side. Too much paint and the jigs must be stood up to cure vs hung.

Edited by atijigs