flippinfool

Hook Storage

How do you store/protect your hooks? I'm not talking a few hooks. When you buy in bulk by the thousands. When I get gamakatsu 1000 counts they come in a nice sturdy cardbox wrapped in paper and have a silica gel pack. Mustad just comes in a cardboard box. Found a few mustad black nickles that were starting to turn. Anyone have a trick they add with the hooks to protect them? Not all hooks get used right away and may sit for a while.

I store all my hooks in the boxes they came in. I do not keep them in the basement or garage as there is too much humidity and dampness there at certain times of the year. I keep all my immediate used hooks in my den where I tie jigs and all of the other 50 boxes in my closet bedroom. I have a lot of Mustad hooks and they are coated with a black oil. Never had a problem with them. Now I also have 5 boxes of Eagle Claw hooks for 6 years and they have no rust as well on them. Bronze hooks are notorious for rusting in humid and damp conditions. All I can say is keep them in the house where the temp doesn't fluctuate as much and take out a couple hundred at a time which you use weekly.

I keep all of mine in their original boxes in the garage closet next to my work bench where I make my baits.

That's interesting as I've never kept mine in the garage................Good info, maybe I'll keep a 100 or so of the common ones I use, so I don't have to constantly go into the house.

Interesting question. ~4 years ago I went to an estate sale in Northfield MN. It was the estate of Mr. Kahle himself. He had died earlier but his wife had just passed away. Before he died he had sold his company to Eagle Claw. He did however have a garage full of hooks that were sold at this auction. I purchased many thousands. Some were dated back to when they were called life saver hooks. All of them are in new condition.Some were manufactured in France. I have yet to find any rust anywhere. I keep these in the basement where I work but they are in the furnace room. I would think unless the packaging gets wet you should not have to worry. These are very old, hooks.

Those "Life Saver"s are interesting - do you know what makes them rustproof?

Myself, I bag in 100 count zip locks in the original boxes stored in lidded plastic bin containers. 150+" rainfall here, so I try to pick as dry a day as possible to pack for storage.

Mustad BLN turning? Thought those are supposed to be rust resistant?

Interesting question. ~4 years ago I went to an estate sale in Northfield MN. It was the estate of Mr. Kahle himself. He had died earlier but his wife had just passed away. Before he died he had sold his company to Eagle Claw. He did however have a garage full of hooks that were sold at this auction. I purchased many thousands. Some were dated back to when they were called life saver hooks. All of them are in new condition.Some were manufactured in France. I have yet to find any rust anywhere. I keep these in the basement where I work but they are in the furnace room. I would think unless the packaging gets wet you should not have to worry. These are very old, hooks.

Great post. It is my understanding that Life Saver was/is a brand name of VMC or Viellard-Migeon Cit from France. I bought some about 60 years ago from E. Hille and they do have some rust. But it surely is my problem as I've moved around and not taken good care of them. The old bronze rustproofing was made from shellac and it wore off when hooks rubbed together. The "dust" in my old hook boxes is probably just shellac. These are old hook boxes. These are very old hooks. I'm very old too.

I've had some Eagle Claw and Mustad hooks in my garage here in Pa for a year and not an issue. Gold ones and the saltwater hooks.

I did use some bronze English hooks that were in the garage for a year and they were fine also. Went through 4000 of those #6 english hooks a year for Croaker rigs, and found out they are no longer made by either manufacturers in #6. BITTER lol. Shortys told me I could bulk order in lots of 20,000. I think I'll try baitholders or beak hooks, don't trust the bronze hooks for 4-5 years and not rusting.

I've had some Eagle Claw and Mustad hooks in my garage here in Pa for a year and not an issue. Gold ones and the saltwater hooks.

I did use some bronze English hooks that were in the garage for a year and they were fine also. Went through 4000 of those #6 english hooks a year for Croaker rigs, and found out they are no longer made by either manufacturers in #6. BITTER lol. Shortys told me I could bulk order in lots of 20,000. I think I'll try baitholders or beak hooks, don't trust the bronze hooks for 4-5 years and not rusting.

If you need some let me know. I have 3.5 boxes of 4000 of the bronze #6s. Send me a pm .Kahle #6s bronze (600 x 450).jpg

Kahle #6s bronze (600 x 450).jpg

post-26046-0-32050400-1301244071_thumb.jpg