squigster

Do-it Minnow Head Mold

Hello

I recently bought a do-it minnow head mold and decided to try it today and I cannot get it to pour at all. I tried preheating

The mold and also smoked the mold. I decided to try to pour it with no hooks and the sprue fills but not the head. I called do-it

And the gentleman told me to turn the pot down to 8 and still no luck. I put a piece of paper between the mold and still same results.

I am using soft pure lead and I have almost no slag on the top. I am out of ideas and don't know what else to try. Any ideas or help

Would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

A couple of friends have them. I have borrowed them and they are the hardest to pour molds that I have ever used. I have my best luck in the hot summer time for some reason or other.

Both of those molds are smoked and I even heated the hooks sometimes.

Good luck. If you come up with something please post it.

Thanks we will see. I bought 200 sohumi hooks so I could make nice jigs so I'm not real happy this isn't working. If I come up with something I will post it.

Thanks for the reply

Jim

I have several of these molds and have no trouble pouring. based on your statement filling the spru and not the head sounds like the lead is too low of temp or you are not pouring in fast enough or the spout hole on the pot is plugged up.

If you are using pure lead you should not have that much trouble. Try pouring without hooks until the lead comes out the bottom or fills the hook slot. When the sprue flattens out on top of the mold also indicates the mold is warm enough. If you are not getting any lead in the head and only a sprue you are not getting the lead stream going down the opening. I only set my pot at 7 for pure or very soft lead. There is an open slot at the bottom of the sprue hole isn't there?

I have several of these molds and have no trouble pouring. based on your statement filling the spru and not the head sounds like the lead is too low of temp or you are not pouring in fast enough or the spout hole on the pot is plugged up.

Hi I had the pot on 10 and no luck and the do-it guy said to set it at 8 and still had same problem after waiting 20 minutes. The stream seems s little weak but I filled the pot 1/2 full then 3/4 and salme problem. I'll keep trying and maybe try to bore out pour spout. Thanks for the reply

If you are using pure lead you should not have that much trouble. Try pouring without hooks until the lead comes out the bottom or fills the hook slot. When the sprue flattens out on top of the mold also indicates the mold is warm enough. If you are not getting any lead in the head and only a sprue you are not getting the lead stream going down the opening. I only set my pot at 7 for pure or very soft lead. There is an open slot at the bottom of the sprue hole isn't there?

I tried with no hooks and the head does not fill at all on any of them. The aprues do flatten out and the mold was preheated and I tried to pour blanks just to add heat. I set the pot to 8 after no luck on 10 and it was no better. Yes there is an open slot for the lead to go through but it is really small. I'm guessing it's supposed to be that way. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong but I obviously don't know what. I know occasionally people get bad molds but I'm guessing something with my temp or lead is the issue. I'm not sure how to try and resolve it though. If anyone has any other ideas let me know as I am open to trying anything. Thanks for the reply

Jim

I tried with no hooks and the head does not fill at all on any of them. The aprues do flatten out and the mold was preheated and I tried to pour blanks just to add heat. I set the pot to 8 after no luck on 10 and it was no better. Yes there is an open slot for the lead to go through but it is really small. I'm guessing it's supposed to be that way. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong but I obviously don't know what. I know occasionally people get bad molds but I'm guessing something with my temp or lead is the issue. I'm not sure how to try and resolve it though. If anyone has any other ideas let me know as I am open to trying anything. Thanks for the reply

Jim

That mold's pour slot is narrow and to the hinge side. Not directly at the bottom of the sprue hole. When you pour it next time tilt the mold with the handles raised(about 35 degrees).. When you try the warm up runs with no hooks fill the larger size heads first. Once you get the angle of pour down it will be a piece of cake. Good luck.

Edited by atijigs

I have a couple of those molds and have no problems using WW lead. I'm pouring with a ladle.

Try smoking the sprue area and fluxing your lead. Keep the heat turned up

It's possible that your pot isn't pouring fast enough

Think twice before boring out the pour hole. You may end up with a very leaky pot

Squigster,

I have that mold as well and I like sdsaw have no problem and I use 70/30 mix. 70 hard and 30 soft. By what you say it sounds like you know what you're doing. Soft lead is the easiest to pour. Try this but I'm stumped. Lower your pot temp (LeeIV I presume?) to 7 or 7.5 to start. I think you are pouring way too hot. On the flip side is your pot heating properly? It sounds like your lead is not hot enough. Do you have other molds that you have poured? If so ty to pour those to see if they fill. I'm still thinking pot not heating hot enough. You said you already cracked your mold to pour and that didn't work. Check your Sohumi hooks to see what diameter they are compare to an Eagle Claw or Mustad aberdeen hook. Many times if the hoonk shank is a perfect fit in the hook shank cavity, the air won't escape and lead will not flow. Also like sdsaw said I wouldn't start opening up the pour spout, you could make it worse. Take the lead out of your pot and see if there is anything blocking your spout, clean thoroughly with steel wool and refill, then try again. I'm still thinking pot is not heating hot enough. These are just suggestions, I'm not questioning your pouring ability. Others mentioned tilting the mold front to back or left to right all of the suggestions here are worth trying again. If you can take a pic of your mold cavity and post maybe we can see something in your mold, drop out mold release works very well. Let us know your final solution, you have peaked my curiosity.

I may have missed it, but what oz. heads are you pouring? You may be able to measure the sprue opening compare it to others here. I have the 2,3 and 4 oz. mold.

Did you try to hold the mold directly against the spout yet so it is like a forced injection? I also agree with tilting the mold handles higher direction.

If you are positive that you are hitting the opening square on and the lead is going in without looking like a toilet flushing, then I would also think the pot is not getting the lead hot enough.

Measure the opening if you can so we can compare it to ours.

I really hope you come up with something squig. I have quit borrowing the 1/16 oz mold as it takes me a very long time with a lot of remelts to get 50 heads. I'd like to borrow it again with a workable plan and make a couple of hundred for FnF to use on crappie but not the way it has been in the past.

Keep us posted.

I may have missed it, but what oz. heads are you pouring? You may be able to measure the sprue opening compare it to others here. I have the 2,3 and 4 oz. mold.

Did you try to hold the mold directly against the spout yet so it is like a forced injection? I also agree with tilting the mold handles higher direction.

If you are positive that you are hitting the opening square on and the lead is going in without looking like a toilet flushing, then I would also think the pot is not getting the lead hot enough.

Measure the opening if you can so we can compare it to ours.

I'm pouring 1/32 and 1/16 oz heads. I tried holding the mold on an angle and right up against the spout and neither work. I just don't want to be picking lead off of hooks if they don't fill. I'm goingto clean out the pot completely and see if that helps. If it don't work I'm calling do it and sending it back. I bought sohumi hooks so that I would have nice hair jigs and not have to buy the generic eagle claws so I'm pretty disappointed. I'll try it again with a clean pot but my suspicion is it won't be much different results.I wanted to say that I started pouring with the pot in 10 and the guy at doit said go to 7 or 8 but that didn't work either

Edited by squigster

I really hope you come up with something squig. I have quit borrowing the 1/16 oz mold as it takes me a very long time with a lot of remelts to get 50 heads. I'd like to borrow it again with a workable plan and make a couple of hundred for FnF to use on crappie but not the way it has been in the past.

Keep us posted.

I bought it just for FnF jigs but if I can't get it to work I may just see if one of the guys on eBay that sells them would be willing to make them with my hooks for a fee. I'll let you know if I come up with something

Squigster,

I have that mold as well and I like sdsaw have no problem and I use 70/30 mix. 70 hard and 30 soft. By what you say it sounds like you know what you're doing. Soft lead is the easiest to pour. Try this but I'm stumped. Lower your pot temp (LeeIV I presume?) to 7 or 7.5 to start. I think you are pouring way too hot. On the flip side is your pot heating properly? It sounds like your lead is not hot enough. Do you have other molds that you have poured? If so ty to pour those to see if they fill. I'm still thinking pot not heating hot enough. You said you already cracked your mold to pour and that didn't work. Check your Sohumi hooks to see what diameter they are compare to an Eagle Claw or Mustad aberdeen hook. Many times if the hoonk shank is a perfect fit in the hook shank cavity, the air won't escape and lead will not flow. Also like sdsaw said I wouldn't start opening up the pour spout, you could make it worse. Take the lead out of your pot and see if there is anything blocking your spout, clean thoroughly with steel wool and refill, then try again. I'm still thinking pot is not heating hot enough. These are just suggestions, I'm not questioning your pouring ability. Others mentioned tilting the mold front to back or left to right all of the suggestions here are worth trying again. If you can take a pic of your mold cavity and post maybe we can see something in your mold, drop out mold release works very well. Let us know your final solution, you have peaked my curiosity.

I tried it on 7 8 and 10 and same result. I can't pour it even with no hooks in it so that really stumped me. I am not real experienced at this although I have about 20 molds I have not had this issue before except with dirty lead which I replaced with pure soft. I'm gonna clean the whole thing and tart over and see what happens. I'll let you all know Friday afternoon if I get a chance to clean it by then.

I tried it on 7 8 and 10 and same result. I can't pour it even with no hooks in it so that really stumped me. I am not real experienced at this although I have about 20 molds I have not had this issue before except with dirty lead which I replaced with pure soft. I'm gonna clean the whole thing and tart over and see what happens. I'll let you all know Friday afternoon if I get a chance to clean it by then.

Something is not right. Do your other molds pour alright. I have the pot warming up right now. I will post a couple of pics. I won't shrink them down. Maybe you can see a difference in your mold. I have not ever seen it but I suppose the mold could be defective. I have had tough pouring molds but it is usually technique. This is an interesting mystery.

I did 1 cold pour. I have the advantage of having an assorted mold that has larger heads so the mold will warm up faster. This is using 70% hard lead. On the second pour I added the hooks in the 1/16,1/32,1/48 oz. sizes. I did re pour the larger sizes too for the second pour with no hooks. Maybe you can see something different in your mold. You can see on the pic I did not get a full barb on the 1/48th but for a cold pour I would not be disappointed in that. I do angle the handles up on this mold but other than that nothing special. This mold has been modified slightly for hook size but nothing done to the sprue hole or pot port. I hope this helps. minnow head 005.jpg

minnow head 005.jpg

minnow head 005.jpg

minnow head 005.jpg

minnow head 005.jpg

minnow head 005.jpg

minnow head 005.jpg

minnow head 005.jpg

post-26046-0-47457200-1302149449_thumb.jpg

I have a couple of those molds and have not had problems. You need to realize that those are rather small and you are not pouring much lead to heat up the mold. On some days with some molds I have had to pour 20 times to get the mold to fill right. Heat the mold and then pour without hooks until you get 4 or 5 pours that fill. Sometimes a mold that works fine on a given day just gives you problems. I think it may be humidity or barometric pressure or something like that. I would give it several tries before I gave up. Might even try to use a ladel.

I think it may be humidity or barometric pressure or something like that.

I will agree with this statement 100%. I have over a 100 molds and they all pour differently on different days. Believe it or not I get 100% perfect pours in winter here by us. When it's in the 30's. Also it is very dry here in winter. In the heat of summer and with high humidity my percentage drops some. :yay:

Squig, apparently you are experienced enuf to pour 20 other molds and know all the tuff pour tricks. Since even hookless pours freeze up at the gate, the problem appears to be the gate itself - is it possible that on this particular mold the gates are somehow compromised enuf to restrict flow into the cavities? Probably, the mold will pour by enlarging the gates and maybe smoothing the inlet funnels. Size matters, for example, I am unable to ladle pour a Do-it Pro 102 1/16 mold but have no problem with a larger gated RHB-8-16.

If your pot refurbish doesn't work perhaps Do-it should have a look at the mold. I have experienced that some molds are just plain lemons with issues that another identical model mold won't have.