Dirtygirltackleco

Powder Paint Trouble

I have been trying the powder paint because I have heard people talk about how easy it is. I am trying to paint jigs made from a Do It Molds brush jig mold. The eye of the hook is recessed because the lead is molded around it.

I am having problems with getting the eyelets clean. I have tried to slide a piece of metal through the eyelet as soon as I take it out of the powder but when the metal piece comes through it brings long strings of paint with it.

So basically how do you clean your eyelets with powder paint?

the reason it is pulling strings is the paint is still warm. i usually put a pc. of toothpick in the eye before i dunk in the fluid bed. i betcha you are probably no using a fluid bed and there is extra paint in those recesses. a fluid bed will allow you to get more equal coverage and use less paint!!

I am probably in a minority here. I am a firm believer in using the hook eye to judge the amount of powder paint on the jig head. I do not use a fluid bed. Larger jigs are tough to dip. There are ways around this. My opinion is the temp of the jig is the biggest factor. I look for the eye to be covered and open. If I have a closed eye then I know that the jig will have to be cured with the hook down because it will run. Different colors drip less and you can cheat a little. My personal opinion is that if the hook eye is closed you have too much paint on the jig. If you run it through a heat gun for a couple of seconds and the eye does not open up then you have way too much paint on the jig and curing can be an issue depending on what colors you are using.

I guess there are many ways to get clean eyes. I rarely use a fluid bed anymore because I do so many multi-colored jigs that using a fluid bed is impractical for me. However for one color jigs or a base coat a fluid bed is faster and definitely gives a more even coating. So I paint my jigs similar to atijigs. I look for good coverage and a thin application. My paint even with 6 colors does not run in the toaster oven. It all comes with a lot of prcatice. On bigger jigs like a 3/8 oz and up, I rarely get paint that fills up my hook eyes, and like atijigs said "that is heat control". Find the magic # between heating a jig hot enough to swish it through the powder and not get paint build-up. Too long in the heat and the paint will adhere like a magnet, also too long in the powder paint will do the same. On smaller jigs with smaller eyelet holes, I do the same as you dirtygirltackle, as soon as I take a hot jig from the powder paint, I run a new drill bit (shank first) completely through the eyelet from one side to the other. It works for me everytime. The filmy strands you see is excess paint that was in the hook eye hole, which the drill bit pushed out. This is what you want as the hook eye hole is now clean. On the filmy strands just pull them off with yur figers, any excess strands when you put your jig in the toaster oven, will melt back into the jig to give it a nice glossy finish. Once you learn how to put on thinner coats, you will notice your eyes will be cleaner and your paint will not run. If after you bake your jigs and your holes fill up again you have way too much paint on. I'm sure there will be more responses and ideas. This is just the way I do it.

When I first started using powder I didn't dip the jig in the paint while it was in the jar, instead I used an old wide shallow bowl and put the paint in that. Once the jig is heated you can quickly swish it through the paint and it will be painted and the eye is usually clear and now since I've been using the fluid bed it is even easier, like others have said, the heat is the main concern, you want the jig hot enough for the paint to adhere and melt but not smoke, too much heat will cause too much paint to be on the jig and then when you cure it you'll get nipples. If you aren't using a fluid bed remember to quickly swish the head through the paint, if you take too long you'll get too much paint on your jig, it takes some practice but you'll get it.

I am probably in a minority here. I am a firm believer in using the hook eye to judge the amount of powder paint on the jig head. I do not use a fluid bed. Larger jigs are tough to dip. There are ways around this. My opinion is the temp of the jig is the biggest factor. I look for the eye to be covered and open. If I have a closed eye then I know that the jig will have to be cured with the hook down because it will run. Different colors drip less and you can cheat a little. My personal opinion is that if the hook eye is closed you have too much paint on the jig. If you run it through a heat gun for a couple of seconds and the eye does not open up then you have way too much paint on the jig and curing can be an issue depending on what colors you are using.

+1

Your jigs are too hot and your paint is too thick DGTC.

Try heating your jigs to 325*F in a toaster oven and dip them in the paint. The paint will stick to the jig but won't flash (melt) and you can very easily clean all the paint from around the eye. Then put the painted jig in a 350*F oven and the paint will flash and you can just cure it for 20 min.

I use 2 toaster ovens for painting my jigs, one set at 325* and the other set to 350*. I load 40 jigs in the 325 oven and take them out one at a time and paint and clean them them put it in the 350 oven to flash and cure.

This is what one of my 325* jigs looks like after dipping in the powder... note the open eye.

DSC02084-1.jpg