bigjohn4583

Photos Shooting Of You Repainted Baits

No pro here. But I can tell you the best light of the day for photos is early morning or late evening. All the masters (Rembrandt) painted their master pieces under this light. Turn flash off. Use macro setting and place lure on a surface that contrasts with lure to set it off. You will know the light is right because there is no shadows to worry about because sun is too low in horizon. Sort of like a very over cast cloudy day.

I photograph all my baits right on my workbench. I put down a white background and use two side lights and one overhead light. All three lights have "daylight" bulbs, which are bulbs that reproduce the entire spectrum of light as it is normally seen as sunlight.

I use and inexpensive camera, not an SLR, but one of those 10 mega pixel pocket cameras you can buy for about $100. Most of these modern digital pocket cameras have a close-up mode which lends itself quite well to photographing baits. The quality of the pictures these little cameras can produce is nothing short of amazing.

Try to keep the picture free of clutter...I usually like to have nothing but the bait in the photo, but sometimes its good to lay something next to the bait to give a sense of scale and size for the viewer. A coin for example, can give the viewer an idea of how big the bait really is.

Try to prop up the bait so that the viewer can see its best profile and features. I sometimes use a pencil eraser behind the bait (out of view in the photo) to hold the bait upright for the picture.

Position the hooks so that they look somewhat natural for the bait.

Lastly pay attention to the glare from whatever light source you are using. Usually moving the camera to the side or up or down with eliminate most of any glare that is created by the appropriate lighting.

For the record, I have a background in professional photography.

I typically go the easy route and just chuck the bait down on a white piece of paper. At times I utilize backgrounds but rarely since it really just takes too much time since I don't have a place for it just to stay but also takes a lot more attention to lighting. I also use a light box made from a collapsible dirty clothes hamper and plan sheets of white printer paper. The macro settings works fine for most things but at times it pays to read the manual.

Just white piece of paper on table top:

craw.jpg

Background set up with multiple lighting sources:

Craw-1.jpg

Light box set up:

centipede.jpg

Edited by Travis