blazt*

The 25 Silicone Skirts I Bought Need Help

I just bought a mixed batch of 25 silicone skirts, and when I got them I saw that they were a little on the "dead" side - meaning that rather than being bouncy, springy, and full of life the strands tend to lack life.

I tested one on a spinnerbait and it didn't really pulsate in the water like most skirts do.

Just wondering if there is something I can to to add life to them. I'm going to trim them all down - that seems to help add some bounce. But, for example, I know soft plastic lures can be boiled to make them swim better...is there some kind of trick I can do with these skirts? As it stands I'm not real confident they will catch many bass or not.

I just bought a mixed batch of 25 silicone skirts, and when I got them I saw that they were a little on the "dead" side - meaning that rather than being bouncy, springy, and full of life the strands tend to lack life.

I tested one on a spinnerbait and it didn't really pulsate in the water like most skirts do.

Just wondering if there is something I can to to add life to them. I'm going to trim them all down - that seems to help add some bounce. But, for example, I know soft plastic lures can be boiled to make them swim better...is there some kind of trick I can do with these skirts? As it stands I'm not real confident they will catch many bass or not.

Try soaking one in WD-40 may change the color slightly . It also works as an attractant.

I'm not sure if you fish jigs or not but some skirt material like the frog hair thin cut seems lifeless on a spinnerbait but it is perfect for a jig because when the jig hits bottom, the thinner lifeless skirts will flare out seperating making the jig appear alive with little movement so you probably got thinner silicone. Save those for jigs but if you really like the colors and must use them for spinnerbaits there are things you can do, the most obvious and easiest is adding material, it is easy if you have the ability to make your own skirts, adding more will make the skirt fuller and the strands will end up bunched together a little more causing them to move a little more, this will give you the pulsating effect as you slow down and speed up the retrieve of the spinnerbait. Another thing you can do is reverse the skirt, make the front side of the skirt just a tad bit shorter than the back, this will force the srands to stick out giving you the desired effect, good luck and let us know how it works out.

I'm not sure if you fish jigs or not but some skirt material like the frog hair thin cut seems lifeless on a spinnerbait but it is perfect for a jig because when the jig hits bottom, the thinner lifeless skirts will flare out seperating making the jig appear alive with little movement so you probably got thinner silicone. Save those for jigs but if you really like the colors and must use them for spinnerbaits there are things you can do, the most obvious and easiest is adding material, it is easy if you have the ability to make your own skirts, adding more will make the skirt fuller and the strands will end up bunched together a little more causing them to move a little more, this will give you the pulsating effect as you slow down and speed up the retrieve of the spinnerbait. Another thing you can do is reverse the skirt, make the front side of the skirt just a tad bit shorter than the back, this will force the srands to stick out giving you the desired effect, good luck and let us know how it works out.

No these are the regular cut. Just low grade silicone, I guess. The strands would stick to each other underwater a little.

Try soaking one in WD-40 may change the color slightly . It also works as an attractant.

That worked all right! My skirts look and move a lot better now. Colors are a little deeper and richer but otherwise unaffected.Thanks for the tip. How long will this treatment last? I only have one can of WD and this is the only use I have for it!

We really have enough garbage in our waters without adding wd-40.........not to mention it is illegal to do so.

I didn't see an oil slick coming off the jigs in the water. My guess would be some of the wd-40 components have chemically bonded to the silicone, preventing contamination by leaching. Of course, if I snag it and leave it in the water the wd40, which is probably mostly biodegradable, will remain. Much like the plastic lures you sell, which will slowly break down (after being snagged and broken off) into minute plastic particles that will slowly kill filter feeding aquatic organisms by clogging them up.

This is one reason I regret not having the time to make my own wooden cranks.

Or you might consider the toxic vinyl plastisols that go into soft plastic baits.

All of which are magnitudes worse than a bit of WD.

Hopefully, Powerbait-like formulas will take over in the coming years.