Drakegunner

Brand New To Lure Making And This Site. Help Me Get Set-up Right.

Greetings everyone!

I'm new to the site and lure making (except fly tying- been doing that for 20+ years)

I'm wanting to start producing my own jigging spoons for salmon. 2 - 3 oz

I recently purchased a hot pot 2 and a do-it flutter spoon mold (the 2 and 3 oz model)

I think i have good lead, been reading about fluxing, and pouring on this site. think I'm preppared for that.

My main questions have to do with painting.

Frankly, I have no clue what I'm doing. Looking for a tough, shiny finish, maybe some glo as well.

FIgured I would ask the experts before I buy the wrong stuff.

Looking to get started right.

Thanks for any help.

-Larry

Hi Larry,

Welcome to TU!

There are multiple ways to paint: powder or airbrush or both methods together (powder as a base and details by airbrush).

I'd suggest to check couple great video tutorials made by TJ for start. Below is the link to one of them:

I'm sure there will be more replies to your questions.

Welcome to the site!! You got great advice from psv but I'll add to it but mine help isn't about paint, it is about pouring. You got a hot pot 2 with a mold that you'll be pouring 2oz to 3oz cavities. First of all that is a lot of lead and you'll go through it in no time as the hot pot 2 only holds 4 lbs but more important, with a full hot pot 2 you aren't going to be able to pour a 2oz or a 3oz flutter spoon fast enough to get a complete pour because even is it is half full it will be pretty heavy and since you haven't poured lead before I'll tell you it isn't as simply as just pouring the lead in the mold. You can use the hot pot 2 for now but I suggest you get the medium size ladle from Barlows tackle, it is actually a Lee ladle but it doesn't matter, what does matter is you'll be able to pour the lead into the cavities a lot better and more consistant with a ladle. Good luck on your new hobby!

Welcome to the site!! You got great advice from psv but I'll add to it but mine help isn't about paint, it is about pouring. You got a hot pot 2 with a mold that you'll be pouring 2oz to 3oz cavities. First of all that is a lot of lead and you'll go through it in no time as the hot pot 2 only holds 4 lbs but more important, with a full hot pot 2 you aren't going to be able to pour a 2oz or a 3oz flutter spoon fast enough to get a complete pour because even is it is half full it will be pretty heavy and since you haven't poured lead before I'll tell you it isn't as simply as just pouring the lead in the mold. You can use the hot pot 2 for now but I suggest you get the medium size ladle from Barlows tackle, it is actually a Lee ladle but it doesn't matter, what does matter is you'll be able to pour the lead into the cavities a lot better and more consistant with a ladle. Good luck on your new hobby!

You will want a separate oven. I am not aware of any ill effects but the paint manufacturers all recommend it. Never hurts to be on the safe side.

YES YOU WILL NEED A SEPARATE OVEN,, THE POWDER DOES EMIT SOME FUMES (VERY MINUTE) BUT IT WILL CONTAMINATE THE OVEN,, DO NOT USE AN OVEN YOU PLAN ON COOKING IN.

Good to know- especially since we just got a new convection oven put in this year, would hate to mess that up. :eek:

I ordered the ladle from Barlow's.

How would you suggest I powder paint the jigs? Fluid Bed, gun, or brush?

Also I am looking for a nice pearl color. Any suggestions?

If you are using one color then a fluid bed is the way to go, it also is the way to put a "primer" coat on. As far as multicolors Cadman and several others do great work with powder, regular paint will give you better detail but you will need to protect it. Devcon 2 is the favored cover over paint here, but some use non-yellowing finger nail polish.

Rodney