mark poulson

Single Hook Crank Report

Ben,

I'm open to ideas, but I don't think hook position is the issue. If a fish eats it from behind I'm sure it'll get hooked, although I may have the hook too far below the lure's tail in the swimming position.

I'm sure there's a fine line between having the hook's point protected by the lure's tail, to keep it weedless, and having it so far down that it hits the fish's mouth on the strike.

I used as wide a gap a hook as I had so there would be enough gap to let the hook get into the fish once it's eaten, but I haven't had them eat it.....yet. At least not from the rear, which is how they have to eat it to get hooked.

That's the real limiting factor to me. The lure really has to be eaten from the back. Side swipes and reaction hits from the side won't get the hook into their mouth.

So, like you said in an earlier post, these lures will probably work for grinding across the bottom, where the tail is up and the angle of attack is from above and behind, but I don't think they will work for open water as well, or for deflecting off cover and rocks.

Woodieb8,

Since I started T'ing my swimbait and crank trebles my hook rash has virtually disappeared, too.

How do you attach the belly hooks?

• Like 1

Ben,

I'm open to ideas, but I don't think hook position is the issue. If a fish eats it from behind I'm sure it'll get hooked, although I may have the hook too far below the lure's tail in the swimming position.

I'm sure there's a fine line between having the hook's point protected by the lure's tail, to keep it weedless, and having it so far down that it hits the fish's mouth on the strike.

I used as wide a gap a hook as I had so there would be enough gap to let the hook get into the fish once it's eaten, but I haven't had them eat it.....yet. At least not from the rear, which is how they have to eat it to get hooked.

That's the real limiting factor to me. The lure really has to be eaten from the back. Side swipes and reaction hits from the side won't get the hook into their mouth.

So, like you said in an earlier post, these lures will probably work for grinding across the bottom, where the tail is up and the angle of attack is from above and behind, but I don't think they will work for open water as well, or for deflecting off cover and rocks.

Woodieb8,

Since I started T'ing my swimbait and crank trebles my hook rash has virtually disappeared, too.

How do you attach the belly hooks?

Have you considered that the wide gap (especially if its an EWG hook) might be the problem? I cant tell you how many fish ive missed due to using an EWG hook.... I started using a 1.0 offset shank hook and my hookup ratio skyrocketed. That hook may not work for your application but narrowing the gap may be your ticket to a full livewell....

I fish EWG hooks a lot, and don't have any problems. Maybe it's the way I rig them, or the plastics I use with them.

For the single hook crank I had limited options for hook I had to use, since I needed one with the eye running vertical, or however you describe a hook eye that I could pass a short piece of spinnerbait wire through from side to side, to act as the "axle" for my pivoting hook.

I needed a hook to drop down so the point was protected by the tail of the lure during the retrieve so it was weedless, but that could be swung up and engage on a strike.

One of the hooks was an EWG jig hook, and the other was a round bend jig hook. Neither one managed a hookup.

They both were weedless. Unfortunately, they were both fishless, even after repeated hits.

I'm keeping a couple of the deep divers with the single hook to fish over rocky points. I still think fish eating them off the bottom will get stuck.

But I've converted a couple back to double trebles, and will fish them side by side to see if one sticks more fish.