jburns1510

Pouring Spinnerbaits

I recently started pouring spinnerbaits and I have a couple of questions. The mold i am using is the do-it ultra minnow.

1. How do you get the hook and wire to line up? When I put the hook and wire in they just roll around loosely and it is very difficult to get them in place.

2. This relates to problem #1 but half of my pours end with the hook eye sticking out the side and becoming loose.

Thanks in advance for any help

Edited by jburns1510

The first thing you need to do is make sure you are using the correct wire diameter. Once you learn how to position the wire and hooks you can use different diameters but for now stick with what it tells you. I put the hook on the hook bend and lay them in the mold, the important part is to make sure the hook isn't too far back or the eye will come through the side. You want the eye of the hook right behind the recessed eye, and once you get the hook and wire in the right spot close your mold and hold it tight, if it is loose then either you are using to small of a wire diameter or you don't have the hook against the back of the hook bend.

Just put a small dab of high temp RTV using a tooth pick on one side of the mold for the hook and the wire. Let dry. After you set the wire and hook in the mold check the alignment hold tight and pour. Spinnerbaits are not fast production. I use a rod and let all my wires hang crimped to my hooks ready to pour. I also put a mark inside the mold with a marker so they all come out the same.

I don't pour spinnerbaits, and I've never seen that Do-It mold, but is there some kind of a way to silicone permanent magnets to the outside of the mold to hold the hook assembly in place?

This what I've done when modding a mold where the bend of the hook starts hanging out too far away from the mold to keep it aligned with the head

Slotted and adjustable

Moldhookguide.jpg

Edited by sdsaw

Just put a small dab of high temp RTV using a tooth pick on one side of the mold for the hook and the wire. Let dry. After you set the wire and hook in the mold check the alignment hold tight and pour. Spinnerbaits are not fast production. I use a rod and let all my wires hang crimped to my hooks ready to pour. I also put a mark inside the mold with a marker so they all come out the same.

Thats what I did also, works great

Also mark in the mold so they come out the same

Paul