J lure

Wax

Anyone using wax for carving, modeling, or casting or even better all three? I been searching the web for new tools, equipment and tehniques and stumble across the jewelry making industry. The jewelry industry has a lot of interesting tools and equipment which I think "we" the lure guys, can benefit from. So I stumbled across injection carving wax, which I purchased and injected in to my two peice aluminum mold using the same process as plastisol. So I know have a perfect was replica of my lure! Now I want to add detail to my lure such as scales, eyes, fins, and ext. what would be the best type of tools a rotoray burr or a hot pen/knife? I have neither o the two options..

The lost wax tecnique is also used in Dentistry. I am not familiar with the wax you are using but if it is hard you should be able to get a wax carving set at any Micheals or craft store. Most waxes you want to keep hard and cool and carve with sharp instrument. Depending on your wax hardness rubbing with a nylon will give you a glassy smooth finish. I tried using dental inlay wax in a mold but the shinkage was excesive. It works great for small items and the wax addition technique( where you add the wax in tiny increments). I don't see how investing and casting would really be of any benefit when centrifical casting with silicone molds is much more efficient.

Pk Thomas wax intrument is one tool for adding wax in the incremental technique. Rotory and hot tools will not work well.

Yea that wax it Awsome but I'm having a hard time carving into it. First of all I'm using a electric lead ladle to melt the wax just because its ease of use and small side. The electric lead ladle has no temp control, just really freaking hot and off. I think I may be getting the wax too hot and throwing the chemistry off and that's why I'm getting hard wax. What you think? The wax is very easy to use and cast with rtv and aluminum molds. No mold release needed and extreme durable bu flexible t the same time. I can bend my soft plastic wax cast in half with out breaking. Cleaning is a ease too just wait for the wax to cool and peel it off.