carolinamike

Caney Creek Sells Out To Do-it

the way it reads is day to day operations moved to Do-It in Iowa, Jason says he's still doing mold development, protos. Hope it works for all involved.

I think I will merge with Berkley. I am prepared to move my inventory (few hundred bags of plastics) to their warehouse immediately for the right amount of geet and a few thousand bags of Gulp! shrimp.  Who knows, maybe they perceive me as a "long range threat" 8O  :nuhuh: ........developing...... 

• Like 1

At first it says that Do-It has acquired Caney Creek and all production, operations and sales will be conducted from Do-It, then it says that they are partners, now it's turned into a merger.  A company that is as large and well established as Do-It (50+ years) usually does not take on partners, though one common practice in this industry is to acquire a company and keep the former owner on as an employee.  Does this mean Poly One and P&D Coloring are also part of this merger?  I think we'll know more of the details when and if Do-It makes their announcement.  But I would like to wish Do-It Molds the best of luck with their new venture. 

• Like 1

The Buzz is around about this and everyone is talking, Do-it is a well established company, and they want CCM to be a part of their future for a reason. If anyone has done buisness with CCM they know the level of customer service and availabilty of the owner of the company to answer any question you mught have, so making assumtions at this time seems to be premature, why question two great companys coming together for us the consumer before it is offically put out to the public, and I wish CCM the best of luck with their new venture with Do-it..

It makes sense- I have delt  w/ Component Sysyems for years which is owned by Do-it. They wre looking into developing their own plastisol 2 years ago by selfed it. Now they have the best of both worlds w/ their own plastisol brand.

I wonder if the price will come down for commercial manufacturers and offer 55 gallon drums :oooh:

The Buzz is around about this and everyone is talking, Do-it is a well established company, and they want CCM to be a part of their future for a reason. If anyone has done buisness with CCM they know the level of customer service and availabilty of the owner of the company to answer any question you mught have, so making assumtions at this time seems to be premature, why question two great companys coming together for us the consumer before it is offically put out to the public, and I wish CCM the best of luck with their new venture with Do-it..

I'll second that. CCM product quality and customer service are second to none. Hopefully the increase we'll see in new mold designs won't come at the expense of QC and customer service. Time will tell. We'll just have to wait and see. It does no one any good to make assumptions about the situation. I wish Jason and his family family nothing but the best.

I don't think anyone is judging anyone on this topic..quite the opposite. People are entitled to their opinions.

Time will tell if it was a good merger, buyout, combo of both or whatever it is. No one (to my knowledge) if wanting anyone to fail.

I will say that I  haven't seen a company that has taken a quantum leap in size and production, that didn't have quality control issues, customer service service issues (i.e. you don't have the same access, or fellowship u usually do in a church of 5000 that you do u do in a church of 50)  in growing. As Gamiel said in the book of Acts.."if it's God, you won't be able to stop it and if it isn't of God, it'll come to nothing" ..it applies to a lot of things!!!

• Like 1

We have some really exciting news to share.  We wanted you to know about this before an official Press Release is made in the near future. 

For the last couple months, there have been discussions between Do-It and Caney Creek about how we can provide the ultimate products to you.  The owners of Do-It, Jason Haefner and Ryan McBride, are both really passionate about the outdoors and fishing, just like we are.  We have gotten to know them and learn much about their mold business, other lines of business like CSI (Component Systems), and most importantly – the passion and pride the employees of Do-It have about what they do.  Overall I can say this, they are awesome, and are going to bring so much additional technology, innovation and manufacturing capabilities to what we are doing.

With that said, and with this common passion, Do-It Corporation is acquiring Caney Creek Molds. 

What does this mean?  Initially - all sales, operations, manufacturing, etc. will be moving to Do-It.  Research, design and prototyping of soft plastics will continue as normal on Lake Fork.

tpalmer, first off, welcome to TU.  I was not assuming.  Like I said I was speaking of the standard practices of larger companies in the plastic industry.  I make plastic for a living on a large production scale.  I had been in business a couple of years when I too had a similar offer, but basically what would have happened is that I would have taught the company to run the equipment and they would have canned me.  I'm sorry to say, but this is also a standard practice.  I also have a customer who had a company that wanted to buy him out for a set amount of money and they offered him 3% of total sales for 2 years or a job in research developement and testing.  Does this sound familiar?  I was not stating this to offend anyone and the current owner of CC made the move he felt like he had to make.  I did not make the statement to offend you or tbilly.  I merely went by my experience in the industry and what was printed on the former owner's forum above. 

smallmouthaholic, a couple of the companies do buy in 55 gallon drums now and repackage the product and 3 companies buy the component for plastisol and compound their own formulas.  So, buying by the 55 gallon drum only really won't bring the cost down, but there are 3 ways that the cost may come down. 

first - they may buy their own components and compound their own material but these components are not sold by the 55 gallon drum, they're purchased in much larger quantities.  So a very large facility is usually needed to do this. 

second - they can buy it by what's referred to as the tote.  Which again is a much larger quantity than a 55 gallon drum.  A 55 gallon drum is around 440 lbs.  I could be mistaken but I think a tote is around 2000 lbs. 

third - they can buy 10 drums or more which may reduce the price per lb some, but it definitely reduces the shipping cost.  10 drums or more is the way I prefer to buy. 

I wonder about the moldmaking aspects myself.  You've got to remember you were dealing with a Mom and Pop company that was completely run by the former owner and his wife.  Now the molds will be run by someone paid to do the job at a larger company.  And also since it was  a Mom and Pop operation it was no problem speaking directly with the owner.  Now you will deal with a larger company's customer service, which apparently is very good or they wouldn't have been in business 50+ years.   Sometimes people are real anxious to take things the wrong way.  That seems to be the way arguments get started on this forum.  It's a discussion guys, don't be so easily offended. 

• Like 1

Carolinamike, thanks for the welcome, you didnt offend me, I was thinking some of the same things myself, I do value everyone opinions and come to fourms  like this for its knowledge base of great people.----Things are moving fast over at CCM, I just looked at CCM website and Do-It has their logo on thier already.

• Like 1

As to what's been posted about this...It looks Jason has basically sold his business to Do-It (the terms of the agreement are totally the business of the two parties) and he will get to fish more than he has in a long time, lol. Even if he has a % of the business, Do-It is now the lead dog.

BTW, who are the owners of Do-It??  how long have they owned it.

I'll bet prices go up (just my opinion)...you just can't operate a company w/employees paying SS,withholding, benefits et al as cheaply as Jason did with his family...and I bet that the rewards program at CC will vanish (just my opinion also) at Do-It, and it is their right to abolish it (Jason kinda touched on that in a Q & A on CC forum) That I will miss, if it goes...as it is a great perk to buying molds...and caney has some good molds  

I have really come to like ccm and their products I am on the forum many times through out the day my main concern was if the products they have will still be avaliable or if some will be discontinued I have been pouring my own baits now for around 6-7 years now and I have seen so many molds become avaliable and then taken off the market weather it be for poor sales or copyright problems. Which is the reason I started buying ccm molds they have a unique line of products that I think are a breath of fresh air. So now that I have started stocking up with their molds now it seems to me I may have made a bad investment for the simple fact that in my mind these products could become obsolete and harder and harder to come by.as a matter of fact I just ordered the bigfoot frog mold to try in hopes it would replace my discontinued frog line from delmart. I really hope it works out for jason and his family I know he has had a lot of time and hard work into his business. I'm crossing my fingers

I have really come to like ccm and their products I am on the forum many times through out the day my main concern was if the products they have will still be avaliable or if some will be discontinued I have been pouring my own baits now for around 6-7 years now and I have seen so many molds become avaliable and then taken off the market weather it be for poor sales or copyright problems. Which is the reason I started buying ccm molds they have a unique line of products that I think are a breath of fresh air. So now that I have started stocking up with their molds now it seems to me I may have made a bad investment for the simple fact that in my mind these products could become obsolete and harder and harder to come by.as a matter of fact I just ordered the bigfoot frog mold to try in hopes it would replace my discontinued frog line from delmart. I really hope it works out for jason and his family I know he has had a lot of time and hard work into his business. I'm crossing my fingers

You have nothing to worry about from an availability perspective, the rewards program is not going away, neither is the forum, you can read my statement and answers on the forum and Do-it's comments on our home page.  If you have any concerns you can call me just like normal.

Jason

• Like 2

Just another example of a business owner steeping up to the plate. Thanks Jason for being a part of this transition on the consumers end. Coming on here to clarify some things is great... Do-It in 2013 will be a better company and will expand to offer all fishermen a new avenue to explore in this industry..

I have to say that I've only done business with a few companies that have been as consistent with good products/service as Caney Creek (best ever in shipping)...Jann's comes to mind, Shorty's hooks was always good...sure there are more, just not too many.  When u find one (a company),  you don't want to see it change, but if they are good...they'll grow, be bought. merge, whatever.

I started this one and there's been so much talk about great customer service, I think there's other companies that need to be addressed about this subject, especially for the guys who have never dealt but with one company.   There's several companies out there besides the one mentioned above that has great customer service and that have paved the way and have set a great example for other companies to follow. 

First there's Lureworks.  One of the newest to this end of the business but a very large company that is a major player in the industry.  They can supply you with very small amounts or very large amounts of products.   Before these guys came along, you could only buy 4 types of plastisol, super soft, soft, medium and hard.  They have a large range of plastisols that can meet any special need that you have and they have excellent customer service.  This is another one of those companies that have been around a long time and who wouldn't have been without great customer service. 

Then there's Bear's Baits.  This company made hand injection a standard by producing the first hand injector and injection molds, specifically designed for hand produced products.  He took so much ridicule when he first came on the market with these.  There was a lot of people that said hand injection was too slow and was a bad idea.  His company really took a lot of flack when it was first started.  And now most all the people that said these things do hand injections.  Dave's a really great guy and set the example for a lot of people on what good customer service is all about. 

M-F.  This is a company that has been around a long time.   Another one of those folks that if it weren't for great customer service wouldn't be around.   I would venture to say that really they helped start the hand pour industry.  I can remember their bait making kits way back from when I was a kid.  At one time they were sold in every major tackle store around, and they carry a full line of completely phthalate free products. Jeff and Robert are great folks to deal with. 

Of course don't forget Lurecraft.  Before hand injection, this was the go to place for molds.  They have the largest selection of open pour molds on the market.  Kim and the folks at Lurecraft are great people to deal with.  When I first got started making plastic, they were my bread and butter.  I've bought a many a gallon of plastisol from them.  Always excellent people to deal with and some of the greatest customer service to speak of.  If I ever had a problem with a mold or anything else they were always Johnny on the spot to fix it. 

And of course there's Kevin at Basstackle.  I've always heard  nothing but good things about these folks.   They have a large selection of molds and now Kevin is making large scale production molds.  He has a large number of CNC machines and is a very busy fellow.  His company has also been around for a long time.  Another example of high quality of customer service. 

Like I said I wish Do-It and their staff the best of luck with their new venture.  And if they follow the examples set by these other companies I predict they'll do very well.   

• Like 1