Guest Gangel

Slag/dross/crap Lead/zinc

Guest Gangel

Just wondering the amounts of this stuff people have laying around... and what they do/what they want to do with it.  I kind of have a use for it, just wondering if it's beneficial to have it shipped to me...  Just curious.

I currently have a coffee can full of dross. I fully intend to toss it away at the local dump in the next week or so.

I bought a metal bucket to fill up next time. I intend to spray it with drop out so I can reuse the bucket when it starts to get full.

The zinc wheel weights I plan to save and make a few zinc ingots incase I someday find a use for them or decide to try making a few jigs from them.

I highly doubt you would have much use for my dross. It is from a pot that has been fluxed really well and is really just a pile of crap in a coffee can. It would cost me $12 to ship it to you and for that I just cant see it being beneficial.

Guest Gangel

I had a full post here, then I had to pull back... don't want to annoy the "powers that be".  I'm curious as to what it would take to get people to want to pack it up to send to me.  I've been thinking what in a smaller shape would work good for making a decent sized ingot...  I don't know.

I'm really interested in the oatmeal, bad fill out, and the like.  But Dross is right up there too.  I know people have piles of "bad stuff" out there, just gotta figure out what it would take to get it to me.  I don't want "here, just take it" just because "you're part of the board".  But I also know it's worthless to most people.

P.S.  I also know a lot of people throw the clips and crap in with the dross/slag... that doesn't bother me a bit either.  I know you can slide this stuff in with the scrap metal, but at 5 cents a lb, is that worth it either?

Edited by Gangel

Guest Gangel

I'm taking this all in... I'm working on the next step.  Didn't want to have 50 people contacting me with all their dross... sometimes you get that when people find out you'll "pay" for garbage... I will get a hold of people within in the week to work things out. 

I'm shaking my head w/ this thread. You want free dross- for what possible purpose? Knowledgeable manufacturers clean the dross from the top of their moltden lead before pouring. There are specific products available to help the dross and impurities float to the top of molten lead to be skimmed off before pouring

"Dross is a mass of solid  impurities floating on amolten metalor dispersed in the metal, such as in wrought iron. It forms on the surface of low-melting point metals such astin lead, zinc or aluminum or alloys by oxidation of the metal(s)."

I'm shaking my head w/ this thread. You want free dross- for what possible purpose? Knowledgeable manufacturers clean the dross from the top of their moltden lead before pouring. There are specific products available to help the dross and impurities float to the top of molten lead to be skimmed off before pouring

"Dross is a mass of solid  impurities floating on amolten metalor dispersed in the metal, such as in wrought iron. It forms on the surface of low-melting point metals such astin lead, zinc or aluminum or alloys by oxidation of the metal(s)."

I wonder the same thing.

My dross doesn't have much lead or anything worth trying to save in it.

I do realize he also said zinc and possibly crappy lead and/or bad pours too.

My bad pours get melted back into the pot and my crappy lead gets cleaned up fluxed and made useable.

I avoid purchasing the crappiest lead my local scrap yard has as they do let me pick through it.

My dross certainly isn't worth the cost of shipping I know that.

The only thing I take off the top of my lead pot is dirt. It has the consistency of sand. If what you skim off and put in a can is hard and heavy, it still has lead in it.If you keep stirring the top where the crud is, it will eventually turn to dirt with no lead in it, skim that off and the lead will be clean. Adding a flux additive will speed up this separating the dirt from the lead. The dirt is oxidized lead, like rust.

Guest Gangel

I had a whole long post in my head... and I can't bring myself to type it.  In my old age I just can't do what I used to anymore on forum's, in speaking my mind.

As of now, this experiment is canceled.  Thanks for anyone that showed interest, but no thanks.

The only thing I take off the top of my lead pot is dirt. It has the consistency of sand. If what you skim off and put in a can is hard and heavy, it still has lead in it.If you keep stirring the top where the crud is, it will eventually turn to dirt with no lead in it, skim that off and the lead will be clean. Adding a flux additive will speed up this separating the dirt from the lead. The dirt is oxidized lead, like rust.

The same for me basically just ashes. . I put about a cup or two of vegetable oil in a 200 pound pot of lead (at the begging of each pour) and stir after the fire goes down a bit. This also helps a ton when I have zinc in my lead. After that I throw a few ounces in when its starts to get dirty again.

I had a whole long post in my head... and I can't bring myself to type it.  In my old age I just can't do what I used to anymore on forum's, in speaking my mind.

As of now, this experiment is canceled.  Thanks for anyone that showed interest, but no thanks.

Maybe if you let us in on your idea we could let you know if we think it would work with the dross we have.

The reality is most of our dross is pretty crappy stuff and it is hard for most of us to envision any logical use for it.

A little insight into your idea might help us understand where you are coming from.

Guest Gangel

I could try to explain, but it wouldn't work.  I like to play with a lot of different things.  Probably would explain why I have a bunch of lead, a lot of molds, and hooks galore, but I've never actually poured a bait.  Just certain things I like to try and experiment with.

I am all about experimenting with stuff too. Just because some people can't imagine what the dross could be used for doesn't mean there is no use for it. If the guy wants dross and is willing to pay for it or at least cover the shipping charge, who cares what he is going to do with it.